Red Breasted Nuthatch - 2nd posting of message to group

Paul Stensvaag

May 23, 2022, 12:12:36 AM5/23/22
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
A couple of years ago mid-summer, I off-handedly mentioned resident RBNs frequenting the feeders.  That person remarked that this is unusual and somewhat rare in northern Illinois.  As of this morning, the RBN pair continue to visit the feeders.  I wonder about the likelihood of them sticking around this Summer (and Winter!) again.

Cheers!
Paul Stensvaag
NW Cook

jarojim

May 23, 2022, 11:29:23 AM5/23/22
to Paul Stensvaag, IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
I had one at my feeder on Saturday.  A total surprise to me too.  Unexpected but nice to see.

Jim Jarosz
Norridge, IL

Owen Youngman

May 23, 2022, 11:55:13 AM5/23/22
to jarojim, Paul Stensvaag, IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
In our Deerfield backyard, red-breasted have always been more frequent and persistent than white, including in the summer. Last week was our first without at least a couple sightings in months (we had one or two nearly every day from early February through 5/10, for instance). The suet feeders are preferred but the sunflower and safflower are not shunned.

iPhone, ergo sum