Illinois Beach South, State Line Beach & Trumpet Rd Marsh Tuesday 9-27-22

Al Stokie

Sep 27, 2022, 9:27:41 PMSep 27
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Just a short report today.

Started today at the South Unit of Illinois Beach with Andy Stewart.
Main target was the Harris's Sparrow seen on Sunday & Monday but we
did not find it today in the early morning. And to make matters worse
about an hour or 2 later Donnie D did find it so it was there after
all although not seen by us.

Highlights were a Cooper's Hawk & a Sharp Shinned Hawk, a calling
Sora, a P.B. Grebe, a Kingfisher, both Red & White Breasted
Nuthatches, a Creeper, 5 G.C. Kinglets, a Merlin & a Gray Cheeked
Thrush.

At State Line Beach the west winds have blown away all the green
seaweed gunk & no shorebirds remain. But in addition to the Ring
Billed & Herring Gulls I saw one adult LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL.

At Trumpet Road Marsh I saw lots of Coots & Tree Swallows. Flying by
were a Turkey Vulture & a Red Tailed Hawk. Still 2 Cormorants & 1
Great Blue Heron & ducks were Wood Ducks, Mallards,
Wigeon & one Gadwall & a Pintail.

Not happy about missing the Harris's Sparrow but Bird-Of-The-Day will
be the adult Lesser Black Backed Gull & Runner-Up will be the Merlin.
Also glad to see my 1st Creeper of the Fall as that's one of my
favorites.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today