Again River Trail N.C., Beck Lake & Lake Opeka Friday 1-27-23

Al Stokie

Jan 27, 2023, 3:20:55 PM1/27/23
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Another bad day with light snow & strong winds so I just repeated
yesterday's route with one difference being that River Trail N.C. has
the building closed on Friday's so I watched the feeders & the river
from my parked car. On the way home I again checked Beck Lake, Lake
Opeka & Axehead Lake without seeing much.

River Trail Nature Center (9:10-10:15 a.m.)

Canada Goose (2, landed in the river)
Mallard (4 fly-bys)
Cooper's Hawk (1, flushed birds at the feeders)
BALD EAGLE (1-AD, flying south along the river)
Mourning Dove (10)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (2 or 3)
Downy Woodpecker (4)
Hairy Woodpecker (1-M & 1-F)
Blue Jay (1)
Chickadee (4)
W.B. Nuthatch (2)
Starling (16, roadside by the entrance road)
Cardinal (9)
Tree Sparrow (7)
WHITE THROATED SPARROW (1)
Junco (10)
House Finch (5)
Goldfinch (6)
House Sparrow (~30)

Beck Lake only had 123 Canada Geese, Lake Opeka had 10 Mallards & 16
Goldeneye &
Axehead Lake only had 30 Pigeons at the roosting site & nothing at all
in the water.

Had 19 species at River Trail & 21 for the day. Not very good but the
weather was also
not very good.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the adult Bald Eagle & Runner's Up to the Cooper's
Hawk & the
White Throated Sparrow.

Al Stokie
Very local in Cook County today