Waukegan Beach, Illinois Beach North Unit & State Line Beach Saturday 5-21-22

Al Stokie

May 21, 2022, 6:59:58 PM5/21/22
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Covered Waukegan & Illinois Beach North with Bob Erickson & then did a
quick stop in the rain at State Line Beach. Here's what I saw.

Waukegan Beach (6:30-7:10 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (6 fly-bys)
Canada Goose (18)
Mallard (2)
Killdeer (2)
Spotted Sandpiper (2)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (2)
Sanderling (12)
Dunlin (2)
(Birders here earlier saw Black Bellied Plover & Ruddy Turnstone)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls (no counts)
Mourning Dove (2)
Tree & Barn Swallows (no counts)
Starling (6)
Red Wings (4)
Eastern Meadowlark (H-1)
Grackle (2)

Illinois Beach North Unit (7:30-10 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (2 fly-bys)
Mallard (2)
Virginia Rail (H-2)
Sora (H-1)
Sandhill Crane (4-5)
Wilson's Snipe (1, winnowing)
Mourning Dove (2)
Kingfisher (2)
Red Headed Woodpecker (2)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (H-1)
Downy Woodpecker (1)
Flicker (1)
Eastern Pewee (4)
YELLOW BELLIED FLYCATCHER (1) (FOY)
Alder (H-2), Willow (H-2) & Least (H-1) Flycatchers
Tree Swallow (4)
Blue Jay (2)
Chickadee (2)
House Wren (H-2)
Marsh Wren (2)
B.G. Gnatcatcher (1)
Robin (~10-12)
Gray Catbird (2)
Brown Thrasher (1)
Cedar Waxwing (6)
Starling (2)
Warbling Vireo (H-4)
Philly Vireo (1)
Ovenbird (H-1)
Tennessee Warbler (1)
Yellow Warbler (8)
Chestnut Sided (1)
Magnolia (1)
Redstart (1)
Common Yellowthroat (9)
Wilson's Warbler (1)
CHAT (H-2)
(Bob E went off trail & saw a Blue Winged Warbler & a Mourning Warbler
but wheelchairs don't go off trail very well so I missed them.)
Cardinal (3)
Rose Breasted Grosbeak (1-F)
Indigo Bunting (1-M)
Eastern Towhee (4)
Swamp Sparrow (2)
Red Wings, Grackles & Cowbirds
Baltimore Oriole (6)
Goldfinch (4)

State Line Beach (10:45-11 a.m.)

Just a quick stop here as it was raining pretty hard.

Killdeer (3)
RUDDY TURNSTONE (2)
Ring Billed (10) & Herring (20) Gulls
Caspian Tern (1)
Willow Flycatcher (H-1)

So with roadside add-ons plus a Swainson's Thrush in my front yard I
had 64 species.
Both Bird-Of-The-Day & Fancy Pants Bird Of The Day go to the 2 Ruddy
Turnstones.
Runner-Up to the Yellow Bellied Flycatcher.

Heard from David Johnson that Techny North is flooded with no mud
flats at present.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today