HUDSONIAN GODWIT, Eggers Grove Marsh, Chicago (Cook Co., 9-29-22)

wmarcisz

Sep 29, 2022, 5:39:45 PMSep 29
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts

I watched a HUDSONIAN GODWIT resting with a mixed flock of nearly 100 teal at Eggers Grove Marsh in SE Chicago from 2:45 – 3:15 pm on Thursday, 29 September 2022. The bird was still there when I left. No camera, no photos. I viewed it from the trail that hugs the west end of the marsh (looking east with the sun behind my back) roughly 0.15 mile north of the point where the trail empties onto the slag flats at the south end of Eggers. The bird was fairly close, maybe 100 to 150 feet away, so binoculars were all I needed to make the ID. Other shorebirds with the group included 1 Greater Yellowlegs and 1 Solitary Sandpiper.

Walter Marcisz, Chicago, Cook Co.