Wood Dale Reservoir Complex Monday 10-11-21

Al Stokie

Oct 11, 2021, 5:01:51 PM10/11/21
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

After my Whooping Crane adventure it was back to local birding today
at the Reservoir. As usual I was joined by Luis M which was a good
thing as Luis found some birds that I never would have seen. Many
Great Egrets & D.C. Cormorants & a huge number of Canada Geese. But
down to only 3 species of shorebirds as shorebird season winds down.

Wood Dale Reservoir Complex (7:15-11:30 a.m.)

Reservoir Only

D.C. Cormorant (72)
Great Blue Heron (8)
Great Egret (32)
Canada Goose (683)
Mallard (37)
Blue Winged Teal (1-F)
Sharp Shinned Hawk (1, went after a flying Cooper's Hawk)
Cooper's Hawk (1 fly-by)
Red Tailed Hawk (1, hunting)
Killdeer (45, still good numbers)
Pectoral Sandpiper (8)
Wilson's Snipe (1)
Ring Billed Gull (19)
Herring Gull (1-AD)

Middle Pond

D.C. Cormorant (1), Great Blue Heron (1), Great Egret (2), Mallard (2)
& Red Tailed Hawk (1)

Itasca/Western Wetlands (water level down a bit)

Great Blue (1), Great Egret (3), Canada Goose (6), Mallard (14) & PINTAIL (1)
Killdeer (H-1) & Wilson's Snipe (2)

Land Birds

Had 22 species of land birds including 4 species of Woodpeckers,
EASTERN PEWEE (1),
both Nuthatches, Song Sparrows (3) & Cowbirds (5). Only 2 species of
Warblers which were Palms & Myrtles.

Had 37 species at the Reservoir area & added 1 roadside bird for a total of 38.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the Eastern Pewee & Runners-Up to the Pintail & the
Sharp Shinned Hawk.

Al Stokie
In DuPage County today before the rains came