Various Cook County Locations Monday 1-23-23

Al Stokie

Jan 23, 2023, 6:44:39 PM1/23/23
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Covered some ground but saw very little. Started at Axehead Lake &
Lake Opeka as they were on the way to Paul Douglas F.P. where I wanted
to look for hunting raptors. After that I checked the south part of
Busse Woods but although the water is now fully open I found few
waterbirds.

Axehead Lake & Lake Opeka (9:30-10:10 a.m.)

Only 2 Mallards at Axehead & at Opeka there was only 1 Canada Goose
whereas there were 240 yesterday. But big numbers of Mallards with 93
seen today. And still 7-8 Goldeneye & 1 Herring Gull.

Paul Douglas F.P. (10:40-11:10 a.m.)

Sat & watched for about 30 min & I did fund 2 raptors but not a Rough
Legged Hawk which is what I was looking for. Instead I saw one hunting
adult Red Tailed Hawk & 1 male Kestrel. Did see my 1st Coyote of the
year though.

Busse Woods-South Section (11:30-11:50 a.m.)

Mute Swan (2), Common Merganser (1-PR) plus Ring Billed & Herring
Gulls (Total for both 13)

When I got home I saw on the Cook County Bird Chat that a male Pine
Grosbeak had been photographed in a Cook County cemetery but no
positive directions were given. Tried 2 possible cemeteries but did
not find the Grosbeak. But that was a long shot & I was not surprised.
Several other folks were looking but no one had found the bird at
least while I was there.

Only 14 species today including roadside Starlings & Crows.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the 2 Mute Swans & Runner-Up to the Kestrel.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today not finding much at all.