McGinty Slough & Cap Sauers From Wolf Road Saturday 5-27-23

Al Stokie

May 27, 2023, 7:29:07 PM5/27/23
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

I had heard the Prairie Warbler at McGinty a couple of days ago but I
didn't add it to my year list as I never saw it. So back today with
Bob Erickson to see if we could correct that. On the way in, Bob could
hear it but not where I had heard it before. It was to the east along
the power lines but there were no paths so I had to leave my
wheelchair/walker & bushwack in & that wasn't easy. Found another
birder in the area & he had the singing PRAIRIE WARBLER & eventually
we had good looks while it sang some more. Struggled back to the
wheelchair & then we went to the west along the power lines where we
heard 2 CHATS & saw one WHITE EYED VIREO. On our way out Bob heard
another PRAIRIE WARBLER & we also had good looks at it singing as
well. Verified with other birders that the 1st Prairie Warbler was
still where it had been so we knew we really had 2 of them. On our way
back to the parking lot we also saw a SCARLET TANAGER male & a 1st
year male ORCHARD ORIOLE. Bob also had a Blue Winged Warbler but I did
not see it.

Then to Cap Sauers in from Wolf Road where in the old days I went for
Summer Tanagers with Wes Sarafin. Our targets here were Acadian
Flycatcher (for Bob) & Blue Grosbeak for both of us. Thanks to the
Tolzmann's Bob got his Acadian & we also had Pileated Woodpeckers & a
Ruby Throated Hummer & on the way back near the parking area a group
of birders had congregated trying to see a singing CERULEAN WARBLER.
As usual I only saw a warbler bouncing around at treetop level while a
few birders did see it well. At least I heard it well & knew it was
the bouncing bird. I'll have to settle for that.
Also saw 2 singing adult ORCHARD ORIOLES & a Brown Thrasher but did
not find a Blue Grosbeak. Guess we'll have to save that for our
Midewin trip.

Had 45 species today & Bird-Of-The-Day will be the 2 Prairie Warblers.
Runners-Up will be the White Eyed Vireo & the Orchard Orioles. It was
a good day with lots of walking.

Al Stokie
In S.W. Cook County today