Waukegan Beach, Spring Bluff F.P. & Techny North Saturday 4-10-21

Al Stokie

Apr 10, 2021, 7:54:38 PM4/10/21
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Did Waukegan Beach with Bob E before the rain, Spring Bluff alone in
the rain & finally Techny North in a little bit of rain. Kind of a
discouraging day with nothing really happening. Learned that I can
only do one beach hike per day so I had to skip Illinois Beach with
the others as walking on sand is now too tough for me.
Here are my lists:

Waukegan Beach (6:30-7:30 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (8 fly-bys)
Canada Goose (14)
Mallard 8)
Shoveler (1-M)
Blue Winged Teal (22)
Red Breasted Merganser (~20 in the lake)
Coots (9)
Killdeer (H-1)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls
Caspian Tern (2 fly-bys)
Mourning Dove (3), Flicker (H-1), Robin (3), Starling (2), Cardinal (H-1)
Red Wings, Grackles & 2 Eastern Meadowlarks

Earlier Gustavo had a Great Egret & later Nat C had a Vesper Sparrow.

Spring Bluff F.P. (8-10 a.m.)

Canada Goose (4), Mallard (6) & Blue Winged Teal (8)
Cooper's Hawk (1-AD)
Sandhill Crane (3)
Killdeer (6)
Wilson's Snipe (1)
Mourning Dove (2)
Flicker (1), Robin (4), Starling (5)
Tree Swallow (1)
Field Sparrow (2)
SAVANNAH SPARROW (2) (FOY)
Song Sparrow (8)
Swamp Sparrow (H-1)
Junco (4)
Red Wings (16), Grackles (10) & Cowbirds (7)
House Finch (3) & Goldfinch (1)

Techny North (11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)

The here again, gone again Pectoral Sandpipers were absent when I was
here but Killdeer (2) & a Greater Yellowlegs were on the mud flats.
Also present were the usual ducks which were Mallards (22) Black Duck
(1), Shovelers (12),
Blue Winged Teal (24) & Green Winged Teal (1-M)
Ring Billed (2) & a Herring Gull plus a Kestrel flew by.
Heard a Kingfisher & saw 8 Tree Swallows.
Flicker (1)
Crows (2) & Robins (10)
Savannah (1) & Song (1) Sparrows
Red Wings (8) & Eastern Meadowlark (3)
House Finch (H-1)

Not much today but Bird-Of-The-Day will be the 3 Savannah Sparrows &
Runners-Up to the Greater Yellowlegs, the Snipe & the Sandhill Cranes.

Al Stokie
Mostly in Lake with one stop in Cook County