Air Station Prairie, Techny Basin & Techny North Saturday 7-20-24

Al Stokie

Jul 20, 2024, 10:34:53 PM (6 days ago) Jul 20
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Checked water levels at my 3 local shorebird spots & didn't find much.
Air Station Prairie has high water in both ponds. The only shorebirds
were 2 Spotted Sandpipers
in the East Pond.

Techny Basin is completely flooded including the overflow area at the
reservoir. The only shorebird was once again a Spotted Sandpiper along
the stream. Had 1 each D.C. Cormorant, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret &
Black Crowned Night Heron.

Techny North was the only place I went today which showed some
improvement with the beginnings of the mudflats returning. Shorebirds
were Killdeer (6), Spotted (2) & Solitary (1)
Sandpipers. Also 1 each Ring Billed & Herring Gulls but no Caspian
Terns today. Heard a Yellow Warbler singing & saw 2 Eastern
Meadowlarks.

Slow going but Bird-Of-The-Day will be the adult Black Crowned Night
Heron & Runners-Up to
the Solitary Sandpiper & the 2 Meadowlarks.

License Plate Of The Day to one from D.C. seen near Techny North.

Al Stokie
Local in Cook County today