Magic Hedge this AM

Vera Miller

May 19, 2022, 4:30:58 PM5/19/22
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
We birded Montrose from 6:30 am today until I had to leave for work. The magic was in force with little warbler shapes moving about in each leafy tree--there were MANY redstarts today. We had 15 warbler species with male MOURNING WARBLER, female GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER, and a few CANADA WARBLERS being the highlights. Thrushes (Veery and Swainson's) were around. I was especially pleased to see some YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHERS and a close, sluggishly singing PHILADELPHIA VIREO, as these can be hard-to-find birds elsewhere for me. And finally, we had the swallow slam, with 4 species flying overhead in addition to the many happily nesting BANK SWALLOWS.

Our first time seeing the new entrance and trails, which are nicely done. We were also wowed by the expanded dune habitat as we stopped by to remember Monty and Rose, which will be just one of their lasting legacies.

Good birding,

Vera Miller
Downers Grove