Illinois Beach, Lake County

Mark Wallner

Sep 24, 2021, 12:51:55 PM9/24/21
to ilb...@googlegroups.com
At Illinois Beach State Park south unit this morning a Sharp-shinned Hawk flew straight at me from across the river so close I thought it would land on me and I could clearly see the squared off tail.  Standing still with camouflage really worked or my bad hair had it thinking it was going to catch a rodent, not sure which.  Also saw a small flock of Wood Ducks fly by, a flock of Golden-crowned Kinglets stopped by for a while, a Downy Woodpecker, Rusty Blackbirds, Brown Creeper, Palm Warbler, and a few other small birds I didn't get a good look at to identify.  A young Pied-billed Grebe was on the river.
Another beautiful morning in beautiful Lake County Illinois.

Mark Wallner,  Pleasant Prairie, WI