IOS 30th anniversary today

Eric Walters

Oct 31, 2021, 8:35:50 AM10/31/21
to ilb...@googlegroups.com
{Since today is October 31st, I figure I'd writeup a short summary of how the Illinois Ornithological Society and Meadowlark magazine started).  Hopefully this might be enjoyable to some of you who weren't aware of its past and to others and nice trip down memory lane....}

It was October 24th, 1991.  The thought of adding bird data into a worldwide database via cell phones didn’t exist - even the public internet was still years away from creation.

Thus, when it became clear the former publisher of Illinois bird field data was no longer going to do so, it stirred up concern among active birders regarding where such data and stories would be documented for future generations.

At Wilmette’s Gillson Park that morning, I was with Jack Pomato, Fran Lenski and Wes Serafin discussing this situation, whereupon I was challenged to create a new state birding group, its main goal being the publication of a quarter magazine that would contain (at least), the birding field data from the prior quarter.

Not exactly wanting to be the target of different folks and group with different agendas, I was hesitant, but when Wes indicated the Chicago Ornithological Society (COS) could offer resources in helping establish the new group and Fran indicated he knew Ed Barresi of St. Louis, who owned a magazine printing company and was also a birder who might be willing to help out.

When October 31st arrived, the news was all good, the biggest of which was that Ed decided to give our club the first year of magazine printing for free and at least the next four years only at cost!

Meanwhile, during this birding community conundrum, across Canada an extremely unique weather system had burst forth.  Two powerful back-to-back arctic front had swept through all the Canadian provinces, causing a sudden and complete freeze out of all lakes and open water, causing a massive migratory departure of waterfowl, shorebirds, gulls and late passerines.  This front was so massive, it blitzed through all of the eastern half of the US and became so famous due to its impacts that a Hollywood movie (‘The Perfect Storm’) was made regarding it.

I had noticed the weather reports the days prior and made personal calls to a variety of folks, indicating Thursday, October 31st appeared to offer great birding possibilities throughout northern Illinois.  At Gillson, a few of us gathered and were treated to what still to this day was the greatest late fall flight of diversity and numbers.  Over 6500 Dunlin were counted as flyby migrants (yes, that’s a four digit number)!  If you want to see the Gillson Park tally, go here: eBird Checklist - 31 Oct 1991 - Gillson Park, Wilmette - 54 species (+1 other taxa) (and if interested, here’s Nov 1st report: eBird Checklist - 1 Nov 1991 - Gillson Park, Wilmette - 34 species).

Throughout the northeast Illinois region folks were treated to all sorts of excitement - it even set a record for most Tundra Swan migrants in one day for the region.  Additionally, the first 3 days of November stood out with their own stories, like the Illinois record of day/nightime raptor species seen in one place/one day, the 10 species of gulls on Lake Michigan the first two days and naturally dozens of rarities, highlighted by the Bohemian Waxwing for two days feeding on berries just north of Evanston’s Lee Street Beach.

Despite all the extreme birding excitement, the October 31st weather and resulting impact wasn’t lost on me.  A new Illinois birding group had been conceived… and it was marked in the natural by a historic Illinois bird flight!

But the idea of a new statewide birding club had only been conceived on that date.  Many practical pieces had to come into play before the IOS could be birthed into practical reality.

Current COS and DuPage Birding Club (DBC) presidents Wes Serafin and Karen Rodemaker both expressed strong support and club financial support if I were to attempt starting this new statewide birding club.  After presenting to both clubs the idea of this new group, they both voted to donate $1000 seed money (worth twice that in today’s money).  As well, super generous donor Muriel Smith from the DBC also donated $1000.  Over 150 folks paid $20 membership fees ahead of time, so we were off and running with sufficient finances for the first year+.

Soon enough other birders got involved, with key players like Walter Marcisz willing to do the magazine layout work, Sue Friscia willing to initiate great field trips ideas, Dr. Dave Willard giving us both scientific credibility with his well known Field Museum work, but also advising on bird articles.  Mike Hogg did double duty as Recording Secretary and Treasurer.  Dr. Laurie Binford helped write up our articles of incorporation, using ‘Western Field Notes’ magazine as a base (since he was President of that group back sometime around the 1960-1970’s).  He also wanted the ‘Illinois Ornithological Records Committee’ (IORC) to have some financial oversight and connection to the state birding group, but enough independence to not be unduly influenced by it.

Dave Johnson helping with many different tasks, even ultimately with magazine writing and assistant editor.  A key item regarded who the magazine editor would be.  There were actually some suggestions made and at least two qualified ‘known’ folks offered their services.  But I knew it was such a key position, requiring someone who had a passion for both the outdoors, but also excellence in writing, as well as able to oversee a magazine staff and inspire them onward.  To me, this was one area I couldn’t make a mistake on and I personally took it so serious that I even prayed about finding the right person.

The story would get to long to explain how Sheryl DeVore rose to the top of the pile, she not being as well known or established as the others, but I personally became convinced she was the best choice.  It felt like hitting a grand slam in a championship game when she agreed to become the Meadowlark Chief Editor and over the next two decades she proved she indeed was the best possible choice for this position.

There were so many folks involved in those first 15 months that I could write a book highlighting each person’s key contributions and willing volunteer spirit, all of which helped birth the IOS.

Various group discussions led to the name of ‘Illinois Ornithological Society’.  The name of the magazine was more challenging.  I wanted a bird that best represented Illinois, so it had to be common.  Initially, I personally wanted it to be called ‘The Oriole’ and Walter Marcisz did a great art mockup of one along with the IOS name, so I could show others (see example here on top of page 2 of magazine: https://www.illinoisbirds.org/illinois/meadowlark/New%20Meadowlarks%20July%202015/1992-Vol.-1-Number-3.pdf).  This Oriole idea was gaining traction, however, I wanted to make sure it was a statewide decision.  It turned out the central and southern Illinois birders didn’t like that, instead hoping for the magazine to be called, ‘The Dickcissel’ (since it was such a common and familiar bird in those regions, much moreso than a Northern Oriole).  They also expressed their struggle in having a real voice in Illinois birding decisions (since the volume of birders and $’s in the northeast led to most decisions being made by birders up there).  So discussions continued, new species offered up, a few votes taken… and when it was all finalized, it was the meadowlark that offered the best compromise and best overall statewide representation at that time.  Thus, our new upcoming publication, ’The Meadowlark, A Journal of Illinois Birds’ finally had a name.

The first leadership meeting was held in downtown Evanston, in what was Carmen’s pizzeria adjacent to Fountain Square.  The IOS mailing address was at the Evanston post office for at least the first five years of its existence.  Perhaps the contribution of Evanston to the annals of the IOS shouldn’t be surprising.  Along with 2 past Presidents, multiple IOS magazine mailing parties (at Beryl Nelson’s home a block west of Dempster Street lakefront overlook), the IOS mailing address for its first five years, among other influences, there is also the amazing story going back 170+ years ago to Robert Kennicott.

Robert can claim the fame of having four (!) Carolina Parakeet skins, shot in southern Illinois, now stored at the British Museum.  He was also hired by the US government to lead explorations on the natural history of the newly purchased land of Alaska (where he passed away at age 30 by freezing to death).
Kennicott was hired by the fledgling Northwestern University (NU) in the early 1850’s as a 20-something who gave multiple lectures and shared his specimens for those students eager to get an Ornithology degree (yes, NU was the first IL school to offer that degree).  In fact, the very first university bird classes that occurred in Illinois was in downtown Evanston, at the northwest corner of Davis St./Hinman Ave. (where the Davis Street Fish Market stood for many decades).  You can go to that corner and see the historical plaque on the concrete wall highlighting that NU had classes there.  So Evanston was the start of bird learning for IL and it was the origin of many initial IOS activities.

The first six months brought quite a bit of excitement and attention around the state, but there still was nothing official to show the public yet, as no field trips, annual meeting, newsletter and most importantly the quarterly meeting had yet been released.  I and the leadership team knew things were aggressively moving forward and even knew that by month eight, the first magazine was at the printer.  However, a few unfortunate situations began developing where false stories started to get passed around, saying that IOS has gone belly up and the money folks gave wouldn’t be returned.  I fielded a number of calls from around the state from birders wondering if they would ever get their seed money back.  Complicating matters was the first issue had to have initial printing setup work done, causing more delays.  By later July, 1992, I was getting exasperated by the various tensions and just wanting this first issue to be over and done with.

But in what was one of the most personally satisfying moments, after finally answering the doorbell and receiving 10+ boxes of first issue of “Meadowlark, A Journal of Illinois Birds”, I was stunned to see unknown artist Denis Kania’s cover artwork.  The sun is rising on the horizon (highlighting a new day had arrived) and a Meadowark was singing (expressing joy and trumpeting that a new Illinois birding society had been birthed).  Put yourself in my shoes and then take a look at that cover and you to will likely be startled by how prophetic this art piece was.  See the cover for yourself: https://www.illinoisbirds.org/illinois/meadowlark/New%20Meadowlarks%20July%202015/1992-Vol.-1-Number-1.pdf.

It took a few hours of excited phone calls before I settled down and thought about how far things had come since that October 31st Gillson Park conception date… and then I was stunned in brief tears when I finally understood the reason for all the extra delays, why was it taking so much longer than I expected for the delivery to occur… the boxes had arrived on the morning of July 31st.

Literally 9 months to the day, yea, even to the very hour, when the desire for IOS was conceived.

IOS literally was hidden to the public for exactly 9 months, but on that day, it finally broke forth for all to see its beauty as expressed by that first magazine issue.  IOS and Meadowlark had been officially birthed and to me, it was an overwhelmingly powerful, satisfying moment, which had come full circle from its October 31st origin date.

Eric Walters

Zion, IL/Grandview, MO

Pat Durkin

Oct 31, 2021, 12:34:05 PM10/31/21
to Eric Walters, ilb...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Eric, for producing this amazing read. I looked up some of the people mentioned. Some I have known. Some have passed on. But while they were here on Planet Earth they gave of their time, talents and resources to promote and document birding and birds.

Two quick takeaways from my first reading. First, give it a whirl on starting a new venture. There will be a lot of uncertainty and unknown, but go for it. You are likely scared, but go scared. Second, most things take time and consistent effort to get things rolling. BE PATIENT & KEEP ON WORKING.

Grateful for IOS.

Pat (Patricia) Durkin
Chicago