River Trail Nature Center & Three Small Local Lakes Thursday 1-26-23

Al Stokie

Jan 26, 2023, 3:57:18 PM1/26/23
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

I am still not walking at full strength after the long walk at
Powerton Lake to find the Kittiwake so I thought doing a feeder watch
at River Trail N.C. would be a good idea. Then I checked (from the
car) Beck Lake, Lake Opeka & Axehead Lake where I saw only the birds I
have been seeing lately.

River Trail Nature Center (9:20-10:40 a.m.)

Saw a Kingfisher flying along the river but all other reported birds
were at the feeders.

Mourning Dove (9)
Belted Kingfisher (1 fly-by)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (3)
Downy Woodpecker (5)
Hairy Woodpecker (1-F)
Blue Jay (2)
Crow (H-2)
Chickadee (4)
W.B. Nuthatch (2)
Starling (only 1)
Cardinal (10)
Tree Sparrow (2)
Junco (10)
House Finch (only 2)
Goldfinch (6, all at the thistle feeders)
House Sparrow (~40)

Just the usual birds at Beck Lake, Lake Opeka & Axehead Lake including
Red Tailed Hawks at
Beck & Axehead Lakes, Herring Gulls at Beck Lake & Opeka & the only
ducks were Mallards at Opeka & Axehead plus 24 Goldeneye at Opeka.

Had 16 species at River Trail & 22 for the whole day.

Bird-Of-Of-The-Day to the flying Kingfisher & Runner-Up to the Hairy
Woodpecker.
I hope to be back to doing more walking tomorrow if possible.

Al Stokie
Local in Cook County today