NO SIGHTINGS Birding Slump

S Lestina

Dec 7, 2022, 1:41:34 PM12/7/22
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hi fellow bird people,

Lately I've been in a birding slump-am I the only one? Is it just me or does it sometimes feel like birding isn't fun anymore and I'm only doing it because I have to? Also does anyone have any advice on how to overcome this?

Thanks!
Sarah L
DuPage county

tamim...@hotmail.com

Dec 7, 2022, 2:09:17 PM12/7/22
to S Lestina, IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hi Sarah,

I have personally experienced birding slumps, especially after periods of intense birding.  I am always in awe of people (they will know who they are!  🙂 ) who can bird every opportunity they have.  Everyone is different, has a different set of interests and commitments, and it's definitely OK to bird when one feels like it (unless there is a commitment for an event such as the Christmas Bird Count).  Diversity of approach and intensity is what makes us human.  There's no one-size fits all to birding.

I don't know if you have the opportunity to bird different locations or join in birding walks where you get to meet other birders.  This might add a different layer of enjoyment to your birding experience.  Some people set specific goals that get them out birding frequently.

Best wishes,

Tamima  Itani
Evanston, Cook County

Dec 7, 2022, 3:31:47 PM12/7/22
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts, S Lestina, tamim...@hotmail.com
What Tamima said, with strong support for birding with other people. Extra eyes and ears make a big difference. You can't look everywhere.

In the Spring and Fall migration times we conduct walks in Oak Park and at Columbus Park and Thatcher Woods. The joy is in the company, the variations in experience, and the sharing. I'm unhappy when the migration period ends, though we have been known to give it one or two more tries. Mostly, though, I love the people who walk with us and the stories (bird-related and not) we tell each other. and we laugh a lot.

So see if you can round up a group of birders, including people who want to be birders, and walk once or twice a week in migration times. I don't think you'll burn out on that.

Ed McDevitt

Alan Anderson

Dec 7, 2022, 4:21:57 PM12/7/22
to Ed McDevitt, IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts, S Lestina, Tamim...@hotmail.com
I definitely feel the same way as Sarah sometimes. Especially now with the time change, few inland bird species changes ( except the crane migration has been fun to watch as usual), and few ducks at our local Des Plaines lakes ( as Al Stokie has mentioned)

I am looking forward to the upcoming Christmas Bird Count season though.

Here is a link to Illinois and especially local area counts , for those who want to get out with a small group or even cover an uncovered area. Thanks to the Illinois Ornithological Society for making this compilation. There may be updates at other websites too

Des Plaines

Sent from my iPhone