Fort Sheridan Hawk Watch Sunday 11-28-21

Al Stokie

Nov 28, 2021, 6:52:46 PM11/28/21
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Took it easy today after all that diving to look for the Elaenia
yesterday. So I just went to the Fort Sheridan Hawk Watch on this
their last day of the official Hawk Watch season. Hoped to see a
Golden Eagle or get a better look at a passing Goshawk but I saw
neither. I did see a few interesting raptors with the help of the
other counters as I can see few of the many raptors going by by
myself.

Fort Sheridan Hawk Watch (10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.)

The official counters were Jeff B, Amanda T & Tom L. Others present
were Andy Sigler, Dave J, Ted W, Matt I, Mike C, Owen W & his mom
Karen.

Raptors seen by me were Bald Eagles (5), Harriers (2), Sharp Shinned
Hawk (2), several Red Tailed Hawks & a dark phase Rough Legged Hawk.
The official counters of course saw higher numbers of all those
species.
They also saw 2 Red Shouldered Hawk & a Horned Lark which I missed.
The only land birds seen by me were Blue Jay, W.B. Nuthatch, Tree
Sparrow & Goldfinch.
Others birds flying by were a few Canada Geese & over 1500 Sandhill
Cranes & some far away Tundra Swans. So it was an o.k. day today & I
am finally wearing enough clothing to keep warm.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the dark Rough Legged Hawk & Runner-Up to all the
Eagles most of which were adults & the distant Tundra Swans.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today