Montrose Dunes & Beach Saturday 4-13-24

Al Stokie

Apr 13, 2024, 3:51:38 PMApr 13
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

There was a Burrowing Owl at Montrose a couple of days ago but only a
few folks saw it as it wasn't reported on Ebird as a Burrowing Owl
until too late for most to see it. But today it was re-found early in
the day & when I was there about 50 birders were looking at it through
bino's & scopes. So it's not a secret & had been reported on Ebird by
probably 50 people. Still, I checked with the IBET folks to make sure
it was ok for me to talk about it & they said it was ok.

It was in the Dune area on the sand between some shrubs & partly
hidden by grass. The area is roped off & people made no attempts to go
closer. Hopefully that continues. With all those birders there it was
easy to make sure no one went closer but I suppose with no one to act
as policemen there could be problems but I hope that is not necessary.
If you go, behave yourself!

I did not cover the Hedge Area very well & so don't know what was
there but it did not seem as birdy as earlier in the week.

Guess you know what Bird-Of-The-Day was today.

Al Stokie
At Montrose today

LORRA RUDMAN

Apr 13, 2024, 4:06:14 PMApr 13
to Al Stokie, IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Al, the birding community has stepped up for years now to guard what needs to be guarded. EG Monty, and Rose at all. Perhaps that can happen again this time.
Sent from my iPhone