Hooded Warbler -- Lakewood Forest Preserve, Wauconda US-IL 42.25515, -88.10666 -- May 17, 2022

Peter Quagliana

May 17, 2022, 2:01:41 PM5/17/22
to ILBirds
Birded Lakewood FP in Wauconda today. This is a nice spot with a mix of woodlands, wetlands/ponds and grasslands. It has a lot of potential though it’s probably under-birded.

My favorite bird of the day was a very vocal hooded warbler which posed nicely. Nice close views also of scarlet tanager, rose-breasted grosbeak and many orioles (some nest building).

I only had 4 warbler species, but Merlin identified quite a few other bird species, including:
Henslow’s sparrow
Clay-colored sparrow
Yellow bellied flycatcher

Bay breasted

Blackburnian

Black n white

Nashville

Redstart

Wilson’s

Yellow warbler

Orchard oriole

Tufted titmouse

(…either a tribute to the Merlin app or a commentary on my current hearing and birding capabilities?!?)

Heres my eBird checklist:
Lakewood Forest Preserve, Wauconda US-IL 42.25515, -88.10666
May 17, 2022
7:58 AM
Traveling
3.16 miles
189 Minutes
All birds reported? No
Comments: Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 2.13.1 Build 2.13.13

4 Wood Duck
1 Mourning Dove
2 Sandhill Crane
3 Great Blue Heron
5 Red-bellied Woodpecker
3 Downy Woodpecker
1 Hairy Woodpecker
2 Northern Flicker
4 Eastern Wood-Pewee
1 Eastern Phoebe
1 Great Crested Flycatcher
1 Philadelphia Vireo
3 Warbling Vireo
6 Red-eyed Vireo
9 Blue Jay
3 American Crow
4 Black-capped Chickadee
4 Tree Swallow
1 Barn Swallow
3 White-breasted Nuthatch
2 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
3 House Wren
2 Gray Catbird
1 Eastern Bluebird
5 Swainson's Thrush
6 American Robin
1 Cedar Waxwing
4 American Goldfinch
3 Field Sparrow
5 Song Sparrow
1 Eastern Towhee
12 Baltimore Oriole
10 Red-winged Blackbird
8 Brown-headed Cowbird
3 Common Grackle
6 Tennessee Warbler
4 Common Yellowthroat
1 Hooded Warbler
1 Chestnut-sided Warbler
2 Scarlet Tanager
4 Northern Cardinal
2 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
6 Indigo Bunting

Number of Taxa: 43

Peter Quagliana
Currently reading “The Real James Bond” by Jim Wright