Again at River Trail Nature Center Monday 1-30-23

Al Stokie

Jan 30, 2023, 3:02:24 PM1/30/23
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

With the temp at 13 & with fairly strong winds I decided to cover the
feeders at River Trail Nature Center from inside although I also did
some walking outside along the river. Didn't see many species but at
least I had something to do for a short while. Had to retreat from the
building upon the arrival of about 35 small children.

River Trail Nature Center (8:50-10:20 .am.)

Canada Goose (9, in the river)
Goldeneye (the usual pair in the river)
Cooper's Hawk (1, an adult who flushed all the feeder birds for 15 min)
(No Sharp Shinned Hawk today)
Mourning Dove (6)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (3)
Downy Woodpecker (5)
Hairy Woodpecker (1-F)
(No Pileated Woodpecker seen by me today)
Blue Jay (3)
Chickadee (6)
W.B. Nuthatch (3)
Starling (1, at the feeders)
Cardinal (10)
Tree Sparrow (6)
WHITE THROATED SPARROW (1)
Junco (10)
House Finch (6, including the white headed female)
Goldfinch (8)
House Sparrow (~30)

So only 18 species at River Trail & roadside additions were Rock
Pigeon & Herring Gull for a
days total of 20.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the White Throated Sparrow & Runners-Up to the
Cooper's Hawk &
the Hairy Woodpecker.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Utah seen at the BMO Harris bank in Niles.

Al Stokie
Once again local in Cook County