Montrose & Techny North Friday 7-26-24

Al Stokie

Jul 26, 2024, 7:14:28 PM (14 hours ago) Jul 26
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Again tried for rare shorebirds at Montrose & again didn't get any.
The only shorebirds were the 2 Piping Plovers (young & old), 4-5
Spotted Sandpipers & 1 Sanderling. Just regular Gulls with more
Herring Gulls than there have been & 3 Caspian Terns. Saw quite a few
Chimney Swifts & over 40 Purple Martins & only a few Bank & Barn
Swallows. Saw 1 Ruby Throated Hummer at the Royal Catchfly flowers &
had 1 Warbling Vireo & Yellow Warbler. Large flocks of House Finches &
House Sparrows.

Techny North

But the big news today was the complete return of the mudflats at
Techny North after the place being completely under water just 2 days
ago. I have never seen such a fast turnaround here.

D.C. Cormorant (1)
Great Blue Heron (2) & Great Egret (1)
Canada Goose (4) & Mallard (1 fly-by)
Killdeer (29)
Solitary (4). Spotted (5) & Least (1) Sandpipers
PECTORAL SANDPIPER (1, my 1st July sighting)
Mourning Dove (2)
Robin, Red Wings, Goldfinches & House Sparrows

But it sounds like by Sunday & later we will get more rain so enjoy
Techny North while you can.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Pectoral Sandpiper & Runners-Up to the
Hummingbird & all those
Purple Martins & Chimney Swifts.

License Plate Of The Day to a new lifer Mexican plate from COAHUILA
which I had to drive around the block & look again as it had plate
guard covering part of the plate name.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today