Techny Basin & Skokie Lagoons From Forest Way Drive Wednesday 11-30-22

Al Stokie

Nov 30, 2022, 3:49:11 PM11/30/22
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Ended November with a walk on the main loop at Techny Basin. It was
NOT a pleasant walk as it was only at 20 degrees with a wind chill of
10 degrees. But I dressed warmly & only my hands were cold. The birds
didn't seem to think much of the day either as I had very few species.
Even the Mallards were in short supply & the feeders were empty of
birds. But 2 hold out Blue Herons are hanging on although I don't know
why.

Techny Basin (8:45-10 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (2, one in the stream & 1 in the actual basin)
Canada Goose (131, most were on the lawns)
Mallard (only 3)
Herring Gull (1-AD flying by)
Rock Pigeon (3)
Mourning Dove (1)
Crow (4)
Chickadee (H-1)
Robin (3)
Starling (~15)
Tree Sparrow (2)
Junco (4)
House Sparrow (2-3)

Skokie Lagoons From Forest Way Drive (11:10-11:30 a.m.)

Checked all the water from Dundee Rd to Willow but only had one
species of duck which was Red Breasted Merganser in 2 flocks of 72 &
10. The only other birds seen were Canada Goose (8) & Ring Billed Gull
(4). Slim pickin's indeed.

Only had 13 species at Techny Basin & I added 2 more at The Lagoons
for a small total of 15
for the day but at least I got my walk in.

Not much to brag about but Bird-Of-The-Day will be the 2 Great Blues
defying Winter &
Runner-Up to the finally returning Mergansers. Hope to do better next time.

Al Stokie
Local in Cook County today in spite of the cold & wind