Shorebird Sightings For August 2021 (Late)

Al Stokie

Oct 7, 2021, 3:31:25 PM10/7/21
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

It was a rainy day today so I didn't do much birding, only checked a
few lakes which will have ducks in a few weeks but didn't have any
today. So a good time for my August shorebird totals for 2021. Species
numbers are higher than usual as I did a trip to Central Illinois this
year which always adds to the numbers. I know many folks are not
interested in these totals but I like to do these reports anyway.
Here's my list.

Shorebird Totals For August 2021

American Golden Plover = 1 (At 83rd St Fluddle)

Semipalmated Plover = 33

Piping Plover = 11 (all were Montrose birds)

Killdeer = 1016

Black Necked Stilt = 64 (60 at North & South Globe)

Avocet = 11 (Five at Baler's Lake)

Greater Yellowlegs = 22

Lesser Yellowlegs = 280

Solitary Sandpiper = 118

Spotted Sandpiper = 131

Hudsonian Godwit = 1 (South Globe)

Red Knot = 2 (South Globe)

Ruddy Turnstone = 1 (Wood Dale Res)

Sanderling = 46 (Almost all were at Waukegan)

Semipalmated Sandpiper = 163

Least Sandpiper = 469

Western Sandpiper = 1 (Wood Dale Res)

White Rumped Sandpiper = 4

Baird's Sandpiper = 42 (Many of these were at South Globe)

Pectoral Sandpiper = 128

Stilt Sandpiper = 48 (Many at South Globe)

Buff Breasted Sandpiper = 1 (At North Globe)

Short Billed Dowitcher = 15

Long Billed Dowitcher = 6 (At South Globe)

Wilson's Phalarope = 10

Red Necked Phalarope = 1 (At Techny North)

So if I did that right there were 26 species of shorebirds & 2625
individual shorebirds.

For comparison purposes:

2013 = 23 species & 6448 individuals

2014 = 24 species & 3120 individuals

2015 = 28 species & 7616 individuals

2016 = 24 species & 4404 individuals

2017 = 23 species & 3181 individuals

2018 = 25 species & 1969 individuals

2019 = 23 species & 2827 individuals

2020 = 23 species & 2297 individuals

This year's 26 species is my 2nd highest ever but my individual total
of 2625 is way below the
"Old Days" totals when I made several visits to Central Illinois.

That's it for the August report. I'll try & do the September report in
the next few weeks.

Al Stokie (catching up a little)