Skokie Lagoons From Willow Road Monday 4-15-24

Al Stokie

Apr 15, 2024, 10:05:35 PMApr 15
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

When I was leaving Montrose on Sunday my old wheelchair decided to
fall apart. It refused to fold up but Bob Erickson & I managed to get
it in the back of the baby Prius which is a hatchback & will just
barely accept the open wheelchair. So now I am minus my
wheelchair/walker which means I have to use my big walking stick which
means I have to cut down on the area I can cover. So I went to Skokie
Lagoons & only walked along the 1st lagoon from the picnic shelter
area. I was joined for part of the time by Candida & Mike for the 1st
part of my visit.

Skokie Lagoons (8:10-10:15 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (2)
Canada Goose (10-12)
Mallard (8)
Blue Winged Teal (5)
Turkey Vulture (1, soaring)
Osprey (1 at the nest platform & 1 hunting)
SPOTTED SANDPIPER (2 together) (FOY)
Rock Pigeon (2)
Kingfisher (1)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (3)
Downy Woodpecker (3)
Hairy Woodpecker (1-M)
Flicker (8)
Eastern Phoebe (heard twice but did not see)
Blue Jay (6)
Brown Creeper (1)
Ruby Crowned Kinglet (4)
Hermit Thrush (1)
Robin (22)
Starling (4)
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (4)
Cardinal (3)
Song Sparrow (H-2)
Red Wings (3)
Grackle (1)
Cowbird (2)
Goldfinch (1)
House Sparrow (H-2)

So 28 species on my limited walk today plus 1 more roadside addition.
Bird-Of-The-Day to my FOY Spotted Sandpipers & Runner-Up to the Brown Creeper.

I hope to have a new wheelchair in the next day or 2 but until then my
birding adventures
will be somewhat limited.

Al Stokie
Local in Cook County today