Migration? Cook co

Suzanne Coleman

Sep 16, 2021, 10:20:03 PM9/16/21
to ilb...@googlegroups.com
So...

I haven't been seeing much of anything up here. I had a scattering of birds in the yard and in the forest. Some were good birds but where are the rest of them? I've seen people posting from a couple hours south of us who have great birds showing up so maybe they just passed us over, or I had bad luck? So I'm wondering if other people have had any good birds, in quantities, in the last couple weeks or if you think they're still on their way?

I was up a Techny today and I had a personal record, I think, of 20 great egrets! Also 2 immature black crowned night herons who appeared to be siblings and I heard a third calling to them which I'm guessing was a parent just based on the way they responded. (Looking a little bit guilty.)

Killdeer were having a nice time in the moonlight, calling a lot and forming groups and breaking groups. It's an unusual experience being up there with this warm weather and having the geese landing and fighting and the ducks calling because usually it's pretty cold by now after nightfall. Looking ahead at the weather it looks like we have five more days left to enjoy this and then it's all over! Stern face. Lol.

Also had a few palm warblers at air station Prairie and a savanna sparrow, nothing too exciting.

Suzanne Coleman
Cook County

hansj...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2021, 11:12:48 AM9/17/21
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
    I agree, the first two weeks of this migration at Montrose  has been disappointing.  If it wasn't for the Connecticut Warbler , at the water feature last Sunday , I  say it was a total miss.   Here are photos of the birds I did see.. One last attempt at birds this weekend.

Nolan Lameka
Cook County

Ed McDevitt

Sep 17, 2021, 11:26:14 AM9/17/21