Techny Basin & Techny North Friday 9-23-22

Al Stokie

Sep 23, 2022, 5:19:22 PMSep 23
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,

Had a few tasks to do today so all I did birdwise was check water
levels at both Techney's.
At Techny Basin there is a small area of mudflats back in the
backwater area but few shorebirds. At Techny North the mudflats are
bigger but water levels are still high. And we are supposed to get
more rain over the weekend so flooding might return again.

Techny Basin (8-9:30 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (2) & Great Egret (6)
Canada Goose (5) & Mallard (29)
Killdeer (5) & Solitary Sandpiper (1, along the stream)
Ring Billed (4) & Herring (1) Gulls
Pigeons (24) & Mourning Doves (4)
Kingfisher (1)
Downy (2) & Hairy (1-F) Woodpeckers
Flicker (3, together)
Eastern Pewee (1)
Blue Jay (2) & W.B. Nuthatch (H-1)
Swainson's (1) & Gray Cheeked (1) Thrushes
Robin (8)
Starling (2)
Warbling 1), Philly (1), Blue Headed (1) & Red Eyed (2) Vireos (All on
Navy Ditch Trail)
Redstart (1-F) & Palm Warbler (1)
Cardinal (2)
Red Wings (2)
RUSTY BLACKBIRD (2)
Goldfinch (12)
House Sparrow (8)

Techny North (9:50-10:30 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (3) & Great Egret (5)
Black Crowned Night Heron (1-AD & 1-IM)
Canada Goose (13 fly-bys)
Wood Duck (2), Mallard (6) & Blue Winged Teal (8)
Red Tailed Hawk (1)
Killdeer (16)
Mourning Dove (2)
Blue Jay (2)

Ebird says that's 36 species for the day. Bird-Of-The-Day has to be
the 2 Rusty Blackbirds.
Runners-Up to the Philly Vireo, the Blue Headed Vireo & my 1st Gray
Cheeked Thrush of the
Fall.

Al Stokie
Local in Cook County today