Update Burbank flood retention pond

Ken Kampenga

May 26, 2022, 10:47:26 AM5/26/22
to ilb...@googlegroups.com
Group  about a year ago I sent a e mail to alert you guys about new possible wetlands in Burbank IL. This is a flood retention pond that at normal levels would be less than one foot of water. This winter has been tough on the plantings that were put in last year the freeze thaw flood cycle has pulled all of the plants out. The water levels have been high and only several day has the area been pumped down to its low levels. I drive past this area almost every day and have not seen any shorebirds and only one or two days were it looked promising, There are several geese and mallards but no shore birds. With as little as one tenth of an inch or rain water levels go up to 1-3 feet and it is several days till it is pumped down.  I will try to keep informed if conditions are better for shorebirds.
Pond is at 6500 west 87the st Burbank   Cook County IL  parking on Natchez street.

Ken Kampenga
Burbank IL