Black Vulture Release - Gorham (Jackson County)

Karen Lund

Dec 2, 2021, 5:12:10 PM12/2/21
to IL BIRDS
This is for those of you not on facebook.

This is an update on the black vulture (aka Sooty) rescued from the Montrose Harbor area and transferred to Oaken Acres Wildlife Center last month. She had a clean bill of health and performed beautifully in the flight cage. So it was time for her to continue her migration south...via my Highlander. A big thank you to Rhonda Rothrock, Vicki Lang and Keith Mcmullen for their suggestions of suitable release sites where the vultures are still congregating. Yesterday, 12/1,  I  released her at a vulture mecca -- the property behind Frank's Bait Shop in Gorham. Plenty of dead fish parts to eat, a couple small ponds and lots of trees for roosting. I arrived early afternoon, so the majority of the roost (300+ of turkey & black vultures according to the owner) wasn't there. But she had 4 black and 5 turkey vultures to greet her.  Here's a link to a short you tube video of her release.

Karen Lund
Genoa, DeKalb County

Leslie Borns

Dec 2, 2021, 7:09:51 PM12/2/21
to IL BIRDS, Karen Lund
Fantastic news and video!!  Thank you for sharing with those not on social media.

Leslie Borns
Chicago/Cook

“The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quite alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature. As longs as this exists, and it certainly always will, I know that then there will always be comfort for every sorrow, whatever the circumstances may be. And I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles.”