Al Stokie
unread,Sep 7, 2026, 7:49:54 PMSep 7Sign in to reply to author
Sign in to forward
You do not have permission to delete messages in this group
Either email addresses are anonymous for this group or you need the view member email addresses permission to view the original message
to IBET - Illinois Birders Exchanging Thoughts
Hello Bird People,
I'm afraid I can no longer cover this place properly. I can no longer
see into the West Pond as all viewing spots are blocked by tall reeds
& the old berm trail has so much thick vegetation I can't get in there
with my wheelchair/walker either from the north or south entrances. In
fact, the only place I can cover here is the East Pond where viewing
still works. Unless things change I will not be going to this place
anymore.
Muirhead Springs (7-10:15 am)
East Pond
P.B. Grebe (6)
Great Blue Heron (3) & Great Egret (1)
Blue Winged Teal (4)
COMMON GALLINULE (1 seen & 2 more heard)
Barn Swallow (5)
West Pond (can hardly see in here)
P.B. Grebe (8)
Great Blue Heron (2)
Green Heron (1 fly-by)
Mallard (2)
Sora (H-1)
Killdeer (heard one)
Spotted Sandpiper (1)
Marsh Wren (H-1)
Landbirds
Red Tailed Hawk (1) & Cooper's Hawk (1 fly-by)
Mourning Dove (7, roadsides)
Blue Jay (H-1) & Crows (group of 7)
Eastern Bluebird (H-1) & Robins (2)
Savannah (10) & Song (2) Sparrows
Bobolink (~20)
Eastern Meadowlark (2)
So 25 species at Muirhead (that I could see) plus 2 roadside additions
for a total of 27.
Bird-Of-The-Day will be the one Gallinule that I saw & Runner-Up can
be all those Bobolinks.
Al Stokie
In Kane County today