IKE watch

Jay Collier

Jun 25, 2008, 9:11:17 AM6/25/08
to IKE Project Forum
I'm starting this thread to hold pointers to projects, papers, and
groups that may be of interest to us. I will cross-post some of them
to the IKE blog.

Please share your reconnaissance here! -Jay

Jay Collier

Jun 25, 2008, 9:13:12 AM6/25/08
to IKE Project Forum
This is from Skidmore's Dan Forbush:

"I'm attempting to create an integrated knowledge environment at
Skidmore and am leading my colleagues here through a detailed
examination of all of the social networking options that are available
to us.

"As an extension of this effort, I've created a Facebook group --
called "The College Social Media Study" -- to support a discussion of
optimal social networking strategies for colleges and universities.
Feel free to join us at:

<http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=20299145518>"

From the Facebook group:

"We're especially interested in solutions that are designed to be
plugged into an existing content management system -- not entire
content management systems that offer social-networking as one feature
(such as Ektron at
http://www.ektron.com/index.aspx)"

From Jay:

This makes sense to me.

Just as the master plan for a town or village is intended to envision
highest use of space by many different people using a variety of
physical facilities in many ways, so, too, should an online master
plan encourage multiple systems to work together for the benefit of
all.

All of the features we've discussed, including social media, need not
all be in one system ... but they do need to be simple and intuitive
to use, and they should work together.

<http://tinyurl.com/68vcsn>
<http://tinyurl.com/5lsnla>

It seems to me that increasing our understanding of these various
features is critical in order to envision an effective integration of
all of them.

Jay Collier

Jun 25, 2008, 9:14:30 AM6/25/08
to IKE Project Forum
Premise: an integrated knowledge environment should support learning
of all types: curricular, co-curricular, and sustained collaboration
over many years.

If you agree with that premise, you might want to follow the
MacArthur Foundation's Digital Media and Learning initiative.

<http://digitallearning.macfound.org/>

Up until recently, the DML materials have focused on research and
conversation.

Howard Rheingold's Social Media Classroom initiative, however, is
focusing on an integrated environment, and one of his partners has
produced a summary video of the work they are planning to release
later this year.

<http://briandigital.blip.tv/file/920630/>

Take a look.

Jay Collier

Jun 26, 2008, 10:51:56 AM6/26/08
to IKE Project Forum
Just published two new blog entries:

<http://sites.google.com/site/ikeproject/home/blog>

Jay Collier

Jul 17, 2008, 3:47:07 PM7/17/08
to IKE Project Forum
New blog entry on this article: Social Publishing Systems to topple
the CMS

<http://sites.google.com/site/ikeproject/home/blog/Article-Social-
Publishing-Systems-to-topple-the-CMS>

What do you think? Will an integrative context, like "Social
Publishing Systems" swallow up the traditional CMS?

-Jay