Bringing an IKE to life

Jay Collier

May 11, 2009, 6:11:54 PM5/11/09
to IKE Project Forum
From the project blog:
<http://sites.google.com/site/ikeproject/home/blog/
bringinganiketolife>

Over the past few months, we've been defining the architecture of an
integrated online environment for Bates, and we've been rolling out
the first two phases, both at the wide end of the funnel of
engagement.

<http://batesmedia.net/2008/12/19/the-next-phase-home-web-3/>

First, here are two graphics we've produced to explain our initiative.
(Thanks to Ethan Dahlin Magoon, our new online media producer, for
visualizing many concepts in two small spaces.)

<http://batesmedia.net/2009/02/09/welcome-to-our-new-online-
producer/>

The first graphic is our proposed domain architecture. It is a virtual
master plan based on an overarching blueprint for online engagement.
It is helping us show how future online content, collaboration, and
transactions can support our constituents as they move from general
awareness toward greater engagement and commitment. This is critical
for those of us who are building future phases of our domain.

<http://batesmedia.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/bates-ia-v1-5-
thumb-480x.png?w=480&h=298>
<http://batesmedia.net/2009/03/22/home-4-strategic-vision/>

Next, we are developing a new home site as entry to this environment;
here's the site architecture. Unlike many home pages and top-level
sites, we are working to establish, for our first-time online
visitors, a connection with the deeper content which matches their own
interests.

One of our primary goals has been to surface the content that is
already being generated by faculty, staff, and students around the
College. (We identified a significant amount of content which was
mostly invisible to the world — not by design, but by neglect.) We're
raising our "news/magazine" prototype which presents stories — in
text, images, audio, and video — classified by topic, to a production
level at the same time as our home project.

<http://batesmedia.net/projects/bates-views-2-scope/>

Our students have become active partners in the development of this
new environment, from production work in WordPress and DabbleDB, to
writing about our strategy for the College community.

<http://batesmedia.net/projects/bates-student-home4/>

If you're undertaking something similar, will you share here in the
comments? We'd like to have company ...

-Jay