Re: [ikeproject] Re: Architectural abstractions

Jim Hart

Jun 23, 2008, 10:17:24 AM6/23/08
to ikepr...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 18, 2008, at 9:44 PM, Jay Collier wrote:

> <http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2003/10/23.html>

Jon Udell's revisit is great. Some of it is more difficult than he
portrays, even today. Making slide shows from time lapse data sets in
a Geographic Information System (GIS) takes a fair amount of
expertise with that one software tool.

> I hope other conceptualizations will surface, too. Here's one other.
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcYrPkFe2J0>

Nice complement to Knowledge Navigator. The user interface seems more
attainable given Wii technology.

> As to the first question, I'd like to build on a paper I wrote a while
> back.
>
> <http://www.jaycollier.net/portfolio/strategy/fourth-generation.html>
>

> Here's a hypothesis to be considered. Perhaps the experiences chosen
> by each individual -- personal, mediated, abstract -- will be the ones
> that best satisfy their needs for exchanges that help them thrive.

Yes. Then comes the question, "What are those exchanges, and what
needs do they meet?"

> <http://www.sric-bi.com/VALS/types.shtml>

The Web site talks only about consumers and their purchases. The
focus may be too narrow.

> Nevertheless, as an organizing principle, we could state that there
> may be realms of human needs which arise throughout a lifetime:
> survival/physical, safety/space, belonging/emotion, esteem/mind,
> meaning/purpose. (Please look past the specifics for now, if
> possible.) Each one involves an exchange with the environment, whether
> that environment is physical, personal, or social.
>
> How does this relate to an integrated knowledge environment? I think
> we'd benefit by thinking about satisfactory exchanges between people
> in these various ways as critical in serving our constituents.

I think you're on target, Jay.

> The attributes I've described correlate loosely to a spectrum of human
> needs.
>
> <http://sites.google.com/site/ikeproject/home/discovery/attributes>
>
> - Be dependable (survival) -- Is this environment dependable when I
> need it, even in an emergency?
> - Be intuitive (safety) -- Can I safely navigate this environment
> using only my innate intuition?
> - Be useful (safety) -- Does this experience help me meet my basic
> needs, such as basic procedures?
> - Be engaging (belonging) -- Do I feel like participating in this
> experience?
> - Be personalizable (belonging) -- Can I create my own particular
> experience of this environment?
> - Be welcoming (esteem) -- Am I valued for who I am?
> - Be meaningful (meaning) -- Does this match my values and is it worth
> my time?

These seem to be quality attributes. I want to know what the
exchanges and needs are.