April 9th: a study evening celebrating Prof. Richard Schwartz's 90th birthday

1 view

Ginger - the Veg Community Center

Mar 29, 2024, 8:42:48 AMMar 29
to ijvs google group

The Judaism of Richard

A Study Evening Celebrating Prof. Richard Schwartz's 90th birthday

Tuesday, April 9th (Aleph B'Nisan), 7:30 pm

8 Balfour Street, Jerusalem.

With speakers Rabbi David Rosen, Professor Yael Shemesh, Rabbi Adam Frank and Prof. Richard Schwartz himself.

"Judaism and Vegetarianism", "Judaism and Global Survival", "Vegan Revolution" and "Who Stole My Religion" are just some of the books by pioneering Jewish scholar Richard Schwartz. For decades Prof. Schwartz has been a leading voice advancing Jewish answers for our current pressing problems. Eight years ago Richard made aliya from the US with his wife, and he keeps writing and raising alarm calls from his new home in the Judean Hills. This study-evening will be inspired by his vision of Tikun Olam and his ideas on the way Jewish teachings project on our diet in this imperiled world of the 20th and 21st centuries.

Admission free.

Light vegan refreshments will be served.

About our other speakers:

The International Director of Interreligious Affairs of the American Jewish Committee for more than two decades, Rabbi David Rosen has taken leave from this position to serve as the Special Advisor to the Abrahamic Family House in Abu Dhabi. He is the former chief rabbi of Ireland.

Prof. Yael Shemesh is a professor in the Bible department of the Bar Ilan University. Beside her scholarly work, which concerns, inter-alia, the issue of compassion towards animals, Porf. Shemesh is a long-distance runner and author of the blog "Long Distance Vegan".

Rabbi Adam Frank served as rabbi of the Conservative Movement’s Congregation Moreshet Yisrael in downtown Jerusalem, from 2005 to 2019. He is an activist in the areas of religious pluralism and animal welfare in Israel (co-chair of the Jerusalem Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).

The International Jewish Vegetarian Society - Jerusalem

www.ginger.org.il

For donations: http://www.israelgives.org/amuta/580155034

Lecturers and facilitators in the published events are solely responsible for the information they present and the opinions they express. Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent the views of the Society. Information presented has not necessarily been veified by the Society. The Society promotes events that promote plant-based diets and others that we believe will interest community members. The Society also participates and co-organizes such events. This should not be construed as endorsement of any opinion, data or practice involved in these events.

image001.jpg
image003.jpg