Contributions to Balram sir

Tony Thomas

Jun 12, 2010, 10:25:51 PM6/12/10
to Tony, A T Rajesh, sughosh p, Pawan Sukla, Ajith TV, Shamail, Shantilal Das, Harsh Raju Chamarthi, Abhi, satish kumar, gibu george, Manu Bansal, Suresh A Kartha, sandeep ponnuru, Abani Pattnaik, abhaya Kumar, Jayadeep U.B, Muthu Poosan, Vivekanandan Kannan, Prem Singh, Sanjeev Panda, Alokmay, jayakumar krishnankutty, C. B. Ashesh, Mr Himanshu Kamra, Siddhartha Shrivastava, hari krishnan, Amitava, Manoj Kurup, iitk.tkd.alum
Dear All,

Many people have asked me whether they can transfer their contribution to Balram sir soon. So let us not delay it further.

We have finally decided to transfer our individual contributions to Balram sir's account directly starting from 15 June 2010. Let us complete this exercise by 14 July 2010. I will let you all know the final sum collected at the end and let him know all the people involved.

Please let me know the amount you are transferring/transferred to sir, so that i can cross check with him that the amount indeed has been credited to his account.

Manu is preparing a googledoc spreadsheet  to keep track of the contributions. Please enter the details there too once he provides us with the link.

The account details of  Balram sir are:

Balram Yadav
A/C: 10426038380
State Bank of India, IIT kanpur (Branch code: 1161)

His phone number is : +91-9336819254.

Thank you all.

Best regards,
Tony.

From: Tony Thomas <tonyth...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Poomase Videos
To: "Balram Yadav" <balr...@yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, 29 March, 2010, 3:11 PM

Arpita Korwar

Jun 13, 2010, 3:21:55 AM6/13/10
to iitkt...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'd rather keep my contribution anonymous. :) So, I wont fill in the
spreadsheet.

Thank you,
Arpita Korwar

--
Arpita Korwar,
Research Scholar,

Harsh Raju Chamarthi

Jun 13, 2010, 5:00:40 AM6/13/10
to iitkt...@googlegroups.com
u can fill in the spreadsheet AND be anonymous. Just fill in the
amount and in the name say "anonymous".

The moderator can make the list public, if there is a chance that the
identity of the modifier of the excel sheet be known otherwise.

The idea is to keep track of contributions.

Mr Himanshu Kamra

Jun 14, 2010, 4:53:43 AM6/14/10
to Tony Thomas, A T Rajesh, sughosh p, Pawan Sukla, Ajith TV, Shamail, Shantilal Das, Harsh Raju Chamarthi, Abhi, satish kumar, gibu george, Manu Bansal, Suresh A Kartha, sandeep ponnuru, Abani Pattnaik, abhaya Kumar, Jayadeep U.B, Muthu Poosan, Vivekanandan Kannan, Prem Singh, Sanjeev Panda, Alokmay, jayakumar krishnankutty, C. B. Ashesh, Siddhartha Shrivastava, hari krishnan, Amitava, Manoj Kurup, iitk.tkd.alum
Folks,

I had a concern regarding direct transfer of money to an individuals account.
To my understanding, any amount offered as gift, which constitutes a sum greater than 50k is taxable. It is classified as alternate source of income.
Can some one please check this, we do not want our contributions to be taxed!

-Regards
Himanshu

Tony Thomas

Jun 15, 2010, 4:16:00 AM6/15/10
to A T Rajesh, sughosh p, Pawan Sukla, Ajith TV, Shamail, Shantilal Das, Harsh Raju Chamarthi, Abhi, satish kumar, gibu george, Manu Bansal, Suresh A Kartha, sandeep ponnuru, Abani Pattnaik, abhaya Kumar, Jayadeep U.B, Muthu Poosan, Vivekanandan Kannan, Prem Singh, Sanjeev Panda, Alokmay, jayakumar krishnankutty, C. B. Ashesh, Siddhartha Shrivastava, hari krishnan, Amitava, Manoj Kurup, iitkt...@googlegroups.com, iitk.tkd.alum
Dear All,

Our contributions through direct bank transfer will be taxable as an additional source of income for Balram sir. The only way to get rid of this is to pool the money through some other channel  or to set up a non profit trust. First option is not feasible as the contributors are spread across several continents. Second option is not advisable as the sum which we will be able to pool at this moment will not be going to be a significant amount to set up a trust to take care of the Taekwondo activities.  Further, he may not be able to use the fund in the trust for personal benefits such as marriage of daughter, education etc. Finally, setting up a trust with IITK  involves several administrative and legal obstacles.

 People so far have committed in the range 2,000 to 30,000 rupees. Assuming that  30 peope will contribute,  I think the sum will be going to be in the range 2-3 lakh rupees only.
So, I think he can take care of the additional tax liability himself which I don't think is going to be a huge amount (I think even his total salary/wage/fees from IITK itself is below the taxable income limit)  or he himself can invest it in any tax saving scheme.

Best regards,

Tony.

Gaurav

Jun 15, 2010, 8:58:14 AM6/15/10
to A T Rajesh, sughosh p, Pawan Sukla, Ajith TV, Shamail, Shantilal Das, Harsh Raju Chamarthi, Abhi, satish kumar, gibu george, Manu Bansal, Suresh A Kartha, sandeep ponnuru, Abani Pattnaik, abhaya Kumar, Jayadeep U.B, Muthu Poosan, Vivekanandan Kannan, Prem Singh, Sanjeev Panda, Alokmay, jayakumar krishnankutty, C. B. Ashesh, Siddhartha Shrivastava, hari krishnan, Amitava, Manoj Kurup, iitkt...@googlegroups.com, iitk.tkd.alum
Hi,

How about using Paypal?

Regards,
Gaurav

Divya Rathore

Jun 15, 2010, 9:09:13 AM6/15/10
to iitkt...@googlegroups.com, A T Rajesh, sughosh p, Pawan Sukla, Ajith TV, Shamail, Shantilal Das, Harsh Raju Chamarthi, Abhi, satish kumar, gibu george, Manu Bansal, Suresh A Kartha, sandeep ponnuru, Abani Pattnaik, abhaya Kumar, Jayadeep U.B, Muthu Poosan, Vivekanandan Kannan, Prem Singh, Sanjeev Panda, Alokmay, jayakumar krishnankutty, C. B. Ashesh, Siddhartha Shrivastava, hari krishnan, Amitava, Manoj Kurup
Paypal is no tax magician, I would say.
Same things are valid there. In fact, maybe more as a 3rd party that is commercial in its activities would now be involved.