Is it good to call it Linux User Group?

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Debasish

unread,
Jan 2, 2011, 1:08:06 PM1/2/11
to Linux User Group @ IIT Delhi
This could be a not so important discussion, but what if I use Free
BSD. It appears that they also take part in the discussions in the
group. Is it more appropriate to call it FSUG (Free Software User
Group) ?

Debayan Banerjee

unread,
Jan 2, 2011, 1:12:43 PM1/2/11
to iit...@googlegroups.com

Then you would have to change the group's mailing address. The name
does not matter. The momentum of the group should not be broken over
petty branding issues.

--
Debayan Banerjee
Software Engineer

Kinshuk Sunil

unread,
Jan 2, 2011, 1:13:56 PM1/2/11
to iit...@googlegroups.com
Well, what you say has a point. But as far as I understand, Linux is merely symbolic here in the name. A very similar argument can be to call these a GLUG (GNU/Linux...) and not a LUG. But since Linux here reflects FOSS, so it aint exclusive in a way as well. So GLUG or LUG or FSUG, it all boils down to the same thing in the end.

My 2 cents on it.
 

--
LUG@IITD - http://tinyurl.com/ycueutm


Debasish Ray Chawdhuri

unread,
Jan 2, 2011, 1:38:50 PM1/2/11
to iit...@googlegroups.com
Well this disappointing!

http://www.fsug.org/

However, looks like someone has already thought about it.

http://mm.gnu.org.in/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fsug-bangalore

--
Debasish Ray Chawdhuri
Dept. of Textile Technology,
IIT Delhi

Narendra Sisodiya

unread,
Jan 2, 2011, 1:46:38 PM1/2/11
to iit...@googlegroups.com
We had discussion, but things are not just limited to Linux Kernel - We do many things here - 

I asked this to one of my frined - 

"Do we any "common term" which specify behavior of advocating GNU/Linux, FreeSoftware, OpenStandards , anti-sw-patents anti-DRM "

We deal will ethical and social side of technology. One can assume the world before  1947 etc, 
Power comes by "people", "land" , "economic" and "technology"
earlier, we (human system) were having "DAS system" were some people were ruling over other. It ends.
Then there was  a fight over "land", that is also over.
Now the monopolist guys has see the indirect monopoly system which says -- "feed people good things and they will sit in jail"
So in this world people are fight over economic monopoly and technological monopoly.
We are the person's who have understanding of technology work and what is good and what is bad,
for example - close standards make vendor-lock-in
sw-patent make a life==hell for a developer and startups
DRM & non-free software kill freedom*
So people are right for rights  - we the FOSS community is a very broad level fight for "techright" http://techrights.org/?stories
So Even if we change it to NCR LUG or NCR-FUSG or IITFSUG.. it won't be fully appropriate.

Only thing I see is having a -- "TUG" techright user group.... 


++++++++++++
* somebody said, who need freedom ? many guys do not want to edit source code.
This is similar to "having a election voting rights" and "not voting for personal reason". 



Kenneth Gonsalves

unread,
Jan 3, 2011, 2:12:44 AM1/3/11
to iit...@googlegroups.com

then we will all have to start saying GNU/Linux instead of linux
--
regards
KG
http://lawgon.livejournal.com
Coimbatore LUG rox
http://ilugcbe.techstud.org/

Narendra Sisodiya

unread,
Jan 3, 2011, 2:21:29 AM1/3/11
to iit...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves
<law...@thenilgiris.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 10:08 -0800, Debasish wrote:
>> This could be a not so important discussion, but what if I use Free
>> BSD. It appears that they also take part in the discussions in the
>> group. Is it more appropriate to call it FSUG (Free Software User
>> Group) ?
>
> then we will all have to start saying GNU/Linux instead of linux

I proposed long back LUG -== Libre User Group.. Libre means freedom
and this can be applied in all domains like software, document,
standards etc,,,
All we need to remain it to more generic name..
But changing name is not so much needed, as long as it is not pointing
anything wrong.. we can add new things in the "About us" section of
website.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages