Folding bikes

Ramesh Sreekantan

Jul 22, 2022, 8:11:06 AM7/22/22
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Do any of you have any experience with folding bikes? Now that the metro formally allows them I was thinking of getting one for last mile connectivity. There is, of course, the Brompton but thats over 1 lakh and I dont know if its worth it. The BTWIN Tilt looks okay and is a reasonable 18K so was wondering if its a good buy.

Ramesh

Sreepathi Pai

Jul 22, 2022, 11:43:01 AM7/22/22
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Generally, the big issue with folding bikes is folding speed, folded size, weight, and the "rigidity" of the hinge. If those things are all good on the BTwin, that would make it good.

One caution about small wheel bikes is to be very careful about things like potholes.

I don't own a folding bike, but have ridden a Bike Friday and a Moulton briefly. I do have a non-folding small wheeled bike which is enormous fun to ride.

--

---

Sreepathi Pai

Abhiram D R

Jul 22, 2022, 2:01:49 PM7/22/22
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
A few things happened in recent past that got me thinking on the same lines - return to office seems to be around the corner for me; a random unplanned visit to Pro Cycles where I got to ride around a Brompton for the 1st time; and a stop at Decathlon where I got to try out the BTwin folding bike.
While I don't own a folding bike myself I'm just putting down my thoughts:
1. Brompton: Was very impressed with Brompton with just that 15 min test ride I did. With the big chairing at front it does feel a bit more like a normal ride, but way more fun with that sprightly feel from small wheels. If I didn't have to win a lottery to own one, I would have bought one by now!
2. BTwin folding bike: is not that impressive. I don't know about the hinge quality, frame quality, or longevity but it definitely was not as comfortable as riding a Brompton - the seat height is very low even when above the minimum insertion point and the chainring is small - so it will always feel like riding a kid's bike.
3. Folding time: I personally don't think folding time will matter too much. The typical scenario I think of using folding cycles is for last mile connectivity. So, I would happily trade 2 to 5 min to fold and unfold rather than wait 5 to 10 minutes to get auto/cab/bus.
4. Metro specific: Namma Metro now allows folding cycles (yippee!), but from what I have heard it still has to pass through the luggage screener. I think only Brompton folds compactly enough to pass through them without any hassle. The BTwin will probably not - just eyeballing here. What I have learnt from talking with a few security chaps at the Metro is that if the cycle doesn't fit through the scanner then the security supervisor needs to come and inspect before letting it through. There will also be an additional luggages fee of around ₹30. I am probably okay with the luggage fee (think of it as minimum distance auto fare), but I think the hassle of waiting for the supervisor and explaining the situation is probably not something that I will have the patience for each time it happens. Also, I've read somewhere that the scanner size is not uniform as there are multiple contractors for it and apparently some folding bikes that fit through at one station may not fit through the scanner at another.
5. Price: Brompton does tick all the right boxes, but at ₹1.5lakhs makes me feel that I should have started saving a few years earlier in life :D. The BTwin is definitely more affordable in comparison.

The way I am leaning towards right now is - get more 1st hand information about Btwin folding bike and if they are positive then I might go for it. If I will end up using it only for last mile connectivity of 2 to 5 km then I might be ok with it's drawbacks.
Meanwhile I will start a small investment to be able to buy a Brompton in a couple of years.

On a serious note, a 2nd hand Brompton might be the best bet, if I can find one - I lost a chance recently to get my hands on a 8 year old 2nd hand Brompton for around ₹30k!

In a somewhat related news, I heard from someone at Pro Cycles that Pune metro allows cycles in the last car (yes cycles, not just the folding ones!).
I am keen to find out if there are other affordable alternatives before considering moving to Pune :D.

Cheers!

On Fri, 22 Jul, 2022, 5:41 pm Ramesh Sreekantan, <rameshsr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do any of you have any experience with folding bikes? Now that the metro formally allows them I was thinking of getting one for last mile connectivity. There is, of course, the Brompton but thats over 1 lakh and I dont know if its worth it. The BTWIN Tilt looks okay and is a reasonable 18K so was wondering if its a good buy.

Ramesh

Ramesh S

Jul 23, 2022, 7:27:22 AM7/23/22
to IISc Bikers Network
I had a good experience riding a DDR (Deutsch Demokratische Republik for you kids born in the 90s)  made folding bike some years ago - essentially didnt feel any difficulty keeping up with a friend on a regular sized bike which I thought was a little surprising. Brompton seems ridiculously expensive - I checked the prices on Pro Cycle and the cheapest is 1.5  - the add on bags are more than the B-TWIN bike!  I'd rather get a Switch e-bike kit for my regular bike.

It seems a little unfair if Namma Metro charges for the bike but I suppose as you point out its the minimum auto cost. I suppose these things will smoothen out the more people use it.

Ramesh

Abhijit Kshirsagar

Jul 24, 2022, 1:54:01 AM7/24/22
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
@Ramesh: Personally if the last-mile is just 2-3km even the Btwin folding bike should be more than enough.
I think "Tern" branded bikes also used to be available in a few shops in Bangalore. Pricing may be slightly lower than Brompton.

For those working in MNCs - most companies have quite generous allowances for buying fitness equipment - check with your HR. Since this is pre-tax it can make quite a difference.

Personally, I think they should allow full sized bikes in Metro - even with extra tickets. The metro systems in most US cities have hooks to allow full sized bikes to be carried vertically.

Abhijit
Bike.jpg

Rachit

Jul 24, 2022, 4:55:44 AM7/24/22
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I’ve been on some moderate speed near 100km rides with a couple of folks on Bromptons and they’ve (way more than) managed to keep up with folks on full sized bikes.

I have been curious about alternatives to full sized bikes (for Bangalore) and a handful of options I’ve found interesting for last mile connectivity are unicycles (the low gear inches being their biggest drawback imo), Halfcycle (that’s the a company, something in between a unicycle and a scooter but with a chain and without the disadvantage of a low gear), and even a folding kick scooter. Public transport use had reduced during the past 2 years and I don’t have Metro access on my routes, so I’ve not had enough motivation to actually try any of these. If anyone has tried any of them I’d be happy to hear their experience.

Rachit

--

---

Abhijit Kshirsagar

Jan 4, 2023, 2:13:16 AM1/4/23
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I recently shifted to a different locality and am seriously considering the BTwin Tilt as a last mile bike.
Bus connectivity is pretty good but I need something for 2-3 km (total) on either end.

@Ramesh - did you buy the Btwin Tilt?
Anyone have any experience with the newest one? It seems they have "updated" it in 2021 or 2022.

~Abhijit

Sourav Mandal

Jan 4, 2023, 3:28:43 AM1/4/23
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Hello Abhijit,

This was what I bought in April, 2019 while I was in Belgium (€300/-). It was so good that within 3 months it got stolen 😂 from KULeuven.

You can consider the non-geared versions also if using only in flat rides. I think you're well aware that almost none can bit BTWIN/Decthlon’s offers at a certain price range.

Regards,
Sourav

IMG_0788.jpeg

Rachit

Jan 4, 2023, 3:35:58 AM1/4/23
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abhijit,

I was considering the Tilt but given that it is most likely incompatible with Bangalore metro’s current policies (size limit), I dropped the idea. However, I did end up pickup up a kick scooter - the Oxelo Town 7XL. I haven’t had a chance to use it for commute yet but it looks fairly promising to me in the short amount of time I’ve spent riding it. On a reasonable surface (and no uphills) it should be able to go at least twice as fast as brisk walking. More compact, lighter, lower maintenance, and cheaper than a folding bike too. Might be worth considering if the commute is just 2-3 km.

Rachit

Abhijit Kshirsagar

Jan 18, 2023, 11:34:39 PM1/18/23
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com, Ramesh Sreekantan
@Sourav - There's only one variant available in India - I don't think its the same as the one in EU.
I was in Belgium for a conference in Oct - the number of folding bikes was seriously impressive - a lot of them very high end.
Will post all the bike pics soon.

@Rachit - Are you sure it is incompatible with Bangalore Metro? I'm very surprised - did you get the folding bike finally? Used it with Metro?
I used to take my Rockrider on BMTC volvos with just a luggage ticket (outside peak hours of course). The bike racks never materialised :(

I'm still on the fence about getting the foldie... N+1 problem.

~Abhijit

Rachit

Jan 28, 2023, 7:58:56 AM1/28/23
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com, Ramesh Sreekantan
Abhijit,

The last time I checked, only the Brompton fit the size requirements. From what I know it is governed by what can fit in the xray machine at the metro stations here - and according to specs and also comments I’ve seen online, only the Brompton fits the bill. This is why I skipped getting the a folding bike and got the kick scooter instead. It still exceeds the length requirements iirc bit I’m hoping if it can pass through the xray machine it’ll be sufficient. At the end of the day it might depend on who is handling the security check on a given day/location. There has been talk about relaxing the size restrictions (and even allowing full sized bikes) but I’m unaware if any progress has been made on those fronts.

Rachit

Ramesh Sreekantan

Jan 28, 2023, 8:06:00 AM1/28/23
to Rachit, iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried the scooter on the metro? Was it allowed without any issues? I've also been considering it because of the issue about folding bikes. It's a bit absurd that the only bikes this one can take on cost 1.5 lakhs!

In other places there are other small folding bikes but I haven't seen anything apart from the Brompton here.

Ramesh