RBC Annual Ride

1 view

Sreepathi Pai

Aug 23, 2020, 7:03:41 PM8/23/20
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
The Andrew Spiller Memorial Ride was held yesterday, and the prospect
of doing around 100km in total with some serious climbing during the
34mile route (2000ft) appealed to me. It would be the next step in the
progression towards a brevet next month. The ride is usually held as a
picnic, but in these times, it was just a ride and a
socially-distanced awards ceremony later.

There were options of 51miles, 34miles and 20miles. The 51mile route
includes the infamous Bopple Hill, and given that to-fro riding from
home would be an additional 34miles, I decided to only do the 34
miles. This means I missed out on some very scenic parts of the route
next to Canandaigua lake, but I'm saving that for later.

Route: <https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33571605>

Pics: <https://imgur.com/a/v954W31>

RIDING TO START POINT -- Victor Municipal Park

The start point is 17miles from home, and the route goes through some
of my favourite roads before switching to a rail trail. The Auburn to
Rochester Railroad was converted to a trail some decades ago. Like
many of the rail trails I've ridden, these are mostly flat, straight
and go through some nice forested areas.

This is the first early morning ride in a very long time (most of my
rides are in the evening), and obligatory banana later, I'm out at
7.15AM. I've ridden hard this week -- including a personal best
average of 23kmph for over 90 minutes -- and it shows in my legs. The
ride is however uneventful, and I meet the 1hr 30min time limit and am
at the start at 8:45AM.

I guess there are around 20--25 of us. Most have driven, but a
significant fraction have ridden as well. A diverse crowd, but I'm the
only one with a "touring" bike.

Lots of road machines. As the organizer signs me in, and notes this is
my first ride with them, there's a little worry. This will be a hilly
ride, she says. That's okay, I reassure her.

THE RIDE

We start at 9AM. Right out of the park, the first climb looms. I don't
realize the climb has started, except I keep getting dropped. A glance
at my heart rate stuns me, I'm already doing more than 90% maxHR.
Soon, I'm at the very last (in this respect, I don't seem to have
changed!). I keep pushing, but don't seem to be speeding up much.

At the end of the first hour, I'm down to a 10mph pace. If you look at
the route, you'll notice the route climbs for the first 2/3 of the
way. As realization dawns on me -- although the cue sheet also notes
it -- this route will climb over 1200 ft in the first 16 miles. I've
severely underestimated the climbing: my last ride climbed 1000ft in
40 miles. It's a steady rolling grind. No flat roads to be seen
anywhere. By the middle of the second hour, I've abandoned my "big"
ring. I even walk up two climbs. I rest in some shade -- though in
farm country, the trees are too few.

The view is terrific though -- literal top of the world views. And
finally, there's a reward. On Wheeler Road, there is a wonderful
descent. I hit it, and soon I'm exceeding 60kmph. Unfortunately, the
route continues to climb.

My last ride in these parts was a few years ago, and it wasn't good --
I overheated, and the climbing tired me. Although it doesn't feel that
bad, I never find a rhythm on this ride. I almost never use my "small"
ring during most of my rides, and the lack of experience shows.

Slowly the route eases up, and I hit the turn-around point at around
19miles in -- after nearly three hours on the road. The first of the
51milers are already there. I grab a cold sandwich (always amazing
after a hot ride), some juice, and refill my water bottles at the
"Company Store". I rest a bit while chatting to the other riders.
After an hour, I set off.

The return route is mostly downhill, but does include some climbing.
Again, I am lapped by almost everybody and I ride last. I make it back
to the start point just in time for the meeting awards ceremony.
Stats: 5hr38min from start to finish, 3hr24min spent riding. Moving
average is a surprisingly decent 17kmph, but way below expectations.

THE RETURN

After the ceremony, I ride back on the Auburn Trail, and just before I
reach NY96, I notice my rear tire pressure is very low affecting my
ride. I stop to check for a flat. I suspect there is a slow flat, and
decide not to fix it, but instead to refill and continue home (about
12 miles away). Indeed, that works though the tire's flat today.

Day after: quads are shot. Reminds me of my first Manchanbele ride,
though that was worse with less climbing.

--
Sreepathi Pai