Announcing the SMBR Challenge

Sreepathi Pai

Feb 19, 2013, 10:05:10 AM2/19/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Just how far will you go to have your breakfast on a Sunday Morning? Literally?

Announcing the Sunday Morning Breakfast Ride (SMBR -- pronounced Sambar).

Pick a spot, not IISc, not where you usually have your Sunday breakfast.

Ride a cycle, preferably in a group. Be back before Lunch (2PM).

Tell us in a ride report (short or long):

1) How many km?
2) Where?
3) How the food was.

This challenge runs every Sunday.

Please note, the distance is not really very important ;)

--
Sreepathi Pai

Hari Krishna

Feb 19, 2013, 10:35:23 AM2/19/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Whose idea was this??

Hari Krishna Malladi
Ph.D. Student,
Department of Computer Science and Automation,
Indian Institute of Science.
Cell: +91 9945676016
Web: www.harikrishna-robotics.com
--

---

Sreepathi Pai

Feb 19, 2013, 10:44:22 AM2/19/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Nobody is claiming Intellectual Property protection for this idea.
--
Sreepathi Pai

Sreepathi Pai

Feb 19, 2013, 10:44:37 AM2/19/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
So where are you planning to ride this Sunday?
--
Sreepathi Pai

Mustafa Khandwawala

Feb 19, 2013, 10:49:44 AM2/19/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com

Can't it be on a Saturday?

Sreepathi Pai

Feb 19, 2013, 11:52:54 AM2/19/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
If you do this on a Saturday, you must always refer to it as the SMBR
ride, you're not allowed to use the full expansion, on pain of being
banned from all SMBR rides. Forever.

Gokul D

Feb 19, 2013, 12:58:26 PM2/19/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant!
I'm in.
sunday_morning_breakfast_ride.png

Sreepathi Pai

Feb 19, 2013, 1:00:06 PM2/19/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Gokul Sir, hills in that otherwise brilliant logo might scare people off ;)

Mustafa Khandwawala

Feb 19, 2013, 1:00:46 PM2/19/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com

Then last SMBR ride was by Kalpesh and I to Nandi top and back.. Breakfast was Parle G and Haldiram's mathri—saved from being snatched by a monkey.

P.S. hope i don't get banned for this.

Sreepathi Pai

Feb 19, 2013, 1:05:40 PM2/19/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure retrospective rides should be allowed, but since your
ride happened only last week, and we must make this challenge a
success, your entry is accepted.

60km to breakfast, including a 8km climb. Good show!

Fought monkeys for breakfast? Great show!

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:30 PM, Mustafa Khandwawala

Karthikeyan Swamiappan

Feb 19, 2013, 1:39:02 PM2/19/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
http://rideupthehill.tumblr.com/post/11883719728/krishnagiri

This was the one which inspired me for a breakfast ride. I wanted to ride the same one with Gokul and Mustafa some months before and discussed with them as well, but couldn't do then...
Ready to do this sometimes if IBNers are willing.

Besides, for beginning, we could ride to Bachenapalli eatery in Magadi road. It has been quite a while we rode in Magadi road I guess.
Or, Sri Udupi Upahara in Kanakpura (thanks to the Savandurga and Arkavathi populaires)

Sad I couldn't ride this sunday. Will be glad to ride next saturday (that corresponding sunday we have randonneurs meet, so we expect an exception)

Cheers,
KarthiK S.

Sreepathi Pai

Feb 19, 2013, 1:43:43 PM2/19/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM, Karthikeyan Swamiappan
<skarthike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://rideupthehill.tumblr.com/post/11883719728/krishnagiri
>
> This was the one which inspired me for a breakfast ride.

To be absolutely honest, that is indeed the ride/blog post that
inspired the SMBR challenge.

However, it is not necessary to go to Tamil Nadu for breakfast, CTR in
Malleshwaram will do as well ;)

> Besides, for beginning, we could ride to Bachenapalli eatery in Magadi road.
> It has been quite a while we rode in Magadi road I guess.

Yes, Bachenahalli and the big Thatte Idlis! And the awesome vadas!

This is currently my SMBR plan too ;)

--
Sreepathi Pai

Hari Krishna

Feb 19, 2013, 3:12:31 PM2/19/13
to IISc Bikers Network
There's an eatery near the peacock reserve where we get awesome thatte idlis. Would do that.

--
Sreepathi Pai

--

---

Hari Krishna Malladi
Ph.D. Student,
Department of Computer Science and Automation,
Indian Institute of Science

Hari Krishna

Feb 19, 2013, 3:13:45 PM2/19/13
to IISc Bikers Network
Or ride to McDonalds, BEL Road for some McMuffins :P

Siddhartha Gadgil

Feb 19, 2013, 11:55:37 PM2/19/13
to iiscbikersnetwork
Davangere Benne  Dose in Nelamangala via Hessarghatta? Done before the challenge but can try to repeat (60km).

Gokul

Feb 20, 2013, 12:24:23 AM2/20/13

Siddhartha Gadgil <siddhart...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Davangere Benne Dose in Nelamangala via Hessarghatta? Done before the
>challenge but can try to repeat (60km).

Sounds good. Will join you this week then.

vijay srinivas

Feb 20, 2013, 1:42:14 AM2/20/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Last month I had breakfast at maddur tiffany's at 8:45 while riding to mysore which is at around 95km from here...

Abhijit Kshirsagar

Feb 20, 2013, 3:54:39 AM2/20/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
> Announcing the Sunday Morning Breakfast Ride (SMBR -- pronounced Sambar).
Like the challenge... But I agree with Mustafa - SMBR should be read
as either Saturday or Sunday.
Is the objective to have the best total combination of route (scenic),
food and report + photos?

Anyone heard of Vidyarthi Bhavan?

~Abhijit

Sreepathi Pai

Feb 20, 2013, 4:05:43 AM2/20/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
If it's Saturday, then only SMBR. If it's Sunday, then Sunday Morning
Breakfast Ride or SMBR.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Abhijit Kshirsagar
<abhij...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is the objective to have the best total combination of route (scenic),
> food and report + photos?

Mostly, the points are all made up.

However, general acclaim will count, as will large groups.

Finally, all reports of the ride must come in by the following Monday
morning, so as to prevent retrospective reports.

--
Sreepathi Pai

Hari DK

Feb 20, 2013, 5:50:22 AM2/20/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
How about RASAM - Ride on Saturday Morning?? :D

Abhijit Kshirsagar

Feb 20, 2013, 5:53:30 AM2/20/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
LOL! Nice..
Lets see how many RASAMS and SMBRS we get this weekend :)

~Abhijit

Hari Krishna

Navin S

Feb 22, 2013, 1:06:37 PM2/22/13
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Might be tempted if the breakfast would be sumptuous ;-D

Siddhartha Gadgil

Feb 23, 2013, 6:49:58 AM2/23/13
to iiscbikersnetwork
I got a little dehydrated today (not bicycle related) so do not feel like riding tomorrow. I would be happy to do this next Sunday if others are inclined.
                                                Siddhartha