No-magnet speed sensor

Abhijit Kshirsagar

May 21, 2021, 8:14:25 AM5/21/21
to IBN Group
Hello all

I recently bought a new wireless cyclocomputer [1] from Decathlon and
was surprised to find that the wheel rotation sensor is totally
magnet-free. Instead, the sensor is a single unit that gets wrapped
around the body of the front hub that possibly has either a MEMS based
or old-school mechanical orientation sensor in it. The sensor and the
head unit are both powered by a single CR2032 each.

So - no question of aligning magnets on spokes. But getting this on
and off is a bit of a pain - I'll find out how bad it is when the
battery runs out.

(photos here: https://imgur.com/a/Kb6bfHi)

~Abhijit

[1] https://www.decathlon.in/p/8382194/bike-computers/500-wireless-cyclometer-yellow

Hari Krishna

May 25, 2021, 11:20:10 AM5/25/21
to IISc Bikers Network
My power meter also measures cadence. Goes by the same logic.

--

---

Sreepathi Pai

May 25, 2021, 10:52:14 PM5/25/21
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Yes this is now a thing, made popular by Wahoo and others I think.

My sensors, both cadence and speed use this principle.

The big problem is response time. I run a standard wired speed sensor
on my front hub and it picks up speed changes faster than the hub
versions. Might be related to the radius.

--
Sreepathi Pai

Abhijit Kshirsagar

May 27, 2021, 12:47:21 PM5/27/21
to IBN Group
> Yes this is now a thing, made popular by Wahoo and others I think.
Cool - this is the first time Ive seen this

> My sensors, both cadence and speed use this principle.
I thought you had the Sigma wired computer.

> The big problem is response time. I run a standard wired speed sensor
> on my front hub and it picks up speed changes faster than the hub
Interesting observation. There's obviously some delay due to the
sensor and receiver "waking up" and handshaking...

> versions. Might be related to the radius.
Radius of the hub or wheel? Should be immaterial I think - no matter
what the radius.
The sensitivity should be about 90 deg if there's a single axis
accelerometer in it.

If anyone has a broken one, please donate for science :)

Abhijit