The Women's Rights 200K Brevet

Sreepathi Pai

Sep 20, 2020, 2:45:31 PM9/20/20
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday, I rode my first 200K after nearly 8 years, and the first
outside India. The route is the "flattest" 200K in these parts, with
only about 3K ft of climbing -- about the same as some of the IBN
200Ks. The name of the route refers to the history of the 19th
Amendment of the US constitution that allowed women to vote, a hundred
years ago, since the route visits Seneca Falls.

Unfortunately, I couldn't finish the route on time. My speed
deteriorated over time, and my approach to the penultimate control --
on Whiskey Hill Road -- was too slow. I missed the control by 12
minutes and the final control by over 45 minutes.

That said, I'm happy I finished a brevet on my "new" brevet bike -- 5
years after I bought it! The route was wonderful, passing through
apple orchards (Wayne county is the largest producer of apples in NY
state), historical places, skirting the Montezuma wildlife refuge, and
ending on quiet country roads.

I also got some serious amounts of night riding on country roads --
tranquil but spooky as well! It was also unseasonably cold yesterday,
and so I got some bonus experience riding in the cold as well.

Full ride report to come soon.

--
Sreepathi Pai

Abhijit Kshirsagar

Sep 30, 2020, 3:12:34 AM9/30/20
to IBN Group
Congrats on finishing!
I'm a little surprised you had to ride in the dark - is that the time riding to the start and back?
A 13h brevet at your latitude this time should be mostly during daylight hours.

Abhijit

--

---

Sreepathi Pai

Sep 30, 2020, 1:17:42 PM9/30/20
to iiscbike...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

No, I was slow enough that the last 1hr 45 minutes of the brevet was
ridden in the dark. Sunset was around 730PM that day (it's now 7PM,
and will eventually be 4PM as winter progresses :( )

BTW, still working to put up a website to hold all my ride reports...

--
Sreepathi Pai

Abhijit Kshirsagar

Oct 6, 2020, 4:45:17 AM10/6/20
to IBN Group
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 22:47, Sreepathi Pai <sre...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks!

No, I was slow enough that the last 1hr 45 minutes of the brevet was
ridden in the dark. Sunset was around 730PM that day (it's now 7PM,
and will eventually be 4PM as winter progresses :( )

BTW, still working to put up a website to hold all my ride reports...

Free wordpress?

Abhijit