Omen and iiNet are at the WAIX

104 views
Skip to first unread message

mma...@staff.iinet.net.au

unread,
Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97
to

Summary: Omen and iiNet are both at the peering point at 2M+

For those that don't already know, the Western Australian
Internet Association has sponsored a local peering point
in Perth, referred to, originally, as the "WA Internet
eXchange" (WAIX). At the moment, if you send email to
Wantree, we get charged exactly the same as if you sent
email to Sweden. This is particularly a problem for heavy
duty bandwidth chewers, such as Quake. It's quite
ridiculous to be paying a significant amount of money
to have your data carried down the street.

If two organisations "peer", then traffic between these
two networks is effectively free, or very low cost. Basically,
they put a link in between each other, using whatever technology
they want. The idea of the peering point is to have a centralised
location, to which all the larger networks and IAPs can connect,
and exchange traffic for "free".

For the end user, this means very fast access to local
networks connected to the peering point. It also means
that (ultimately) peering bodies will actively encourage
traffic between themselves, since it is very low cost.
This should see a number of local services, such as
a common Quake server, news and DNS servers, and perhaps
more.

As of about half an hour ago, iiNet and Omen are the
first two networks peering at the WA Internet Exchange.
A traceroute from opera shows:

traceroute to omen.com.au (203.8.107.33), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 qv1.west.net.au (203.59.24.253) 21.591 ms 3.361 ms 3.288 ms
2 omen.ix.waia.asn.au (198.32.212.3) 3.833 ms 8.598 ms 13.548 ms
3 fastway.omen.com.au (203.8.107.179) 10.568 ms 15.122 ms 14.184 ms
4 backbone.omen.com.au (203.8.107.177) 7.97 ms 7.541 ms 7.357 ms
5 platypus.omen.com.au (203.8.107.33) 20.774 ms 24.014 ms 30.114 ms

which isn't too shabby really :-)

Wantree and Paradox digital expect to be connected to the
peering point within a week, and PARNet (the four public
Universities and CSIRO) should be on by mid July.

While some of you may not understand why, we're all pretty
excited about this. For the IAPs involved, its a laudable
display of cooperation between competitors. PARNet agreeing
to connect takes WAIX beyond commercial concerns and confirms
it as a significant contribution to the Internet in Western
Australia.

MM

Patrick Canion

unread,
Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97
to

<trimmed to iinet.general>

Dear Michael,

mma...@staff.iinet.net.au wrote:

>Summary: Omen and iiNet are both at the peering point at 2M+

I take it that this is great news:) Sadly, I did not understand any
of what followed. As your average surfer in the street, do I need to?


God Bless,

Patrick Canion
Pastor, Manning Assembly of God
Perth, Western Australia
ps...@iinet.net.au


Kim Davies

unread,
Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97
to

mma...@staff.iinet.net.au wrote:
: Summary: Omen and iiNet are both at the peering point at 2M+

I'm sure Michael had intended to mention the URL :-)

http://www.ix.waia.asn.au/

kim
--
% kim davies <k...@west.net.au>, http://www.cynosure.com.au/~kim/

Tim Downing

unread,
Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97
to

>As of about half an hour ago, iiNet and Omen are the
>first two networks peering at the WA Internet Exchange.
>A traceroute from opera shows:
>
>traceroute to omen.com.au (203.8.107.33), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
> 1 qv1.west.net.au (203.59.24.253) 21.591 ms 3.361 ms 3.288 ms
> 2 omen.ix.waia.asn.au (198.32.212.3) 3.833 ms 8.598 ms 13.548 ms
> 3 fastway.omen.com.au (203.8.107.179) 10.568 ms 15.122 ms 14.184 ms
> 4 backbone.omen.com.au (203.8.107.177) 7.97 ms 7.541 ms 7.357 ms
> 5 platypus.omen.com.au (203.8.107.33) 20.774 ms 24.014 ms 30.114 ms
>
>which isn't too shabby really :-)

... It's about 5 to 6 times quicker than between Icenet and Omen which
goes through Access One and Telstra (albeit still within Perth) before it
gets anywhere near the platypus.

--
Tim Downing
Systems Manager
Touchstone DDI Pty Ltd
Perth, Western Australia

Niall Young

unread,
Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97
to

>>Summary: Omen and iiNet are both at the peering point at 2M+
>
>I take it that this is great news:) Sadly, I did not understand any
>of what followed. As your average surfer in the street, do I need to?

Not really - basically it's a VERY GOOD THING :)

--
Niall Young
iiNet Technologies "It's a SMEGGING Garbage Pod!"
ni...@staff.iinet.net.au
http://www.iinet.net.au/~niall/

John Chmielewski

unread,
Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97
to

In article <5onubh$c6k$1...@opera.iinet.net.au>, Patrick C states...

>
>I take it that this is great news:) Sadly, I did not understand any
>of what followed. As your average surfer in the street, do I need to?
>
Probably not. However, the bitumen can be quite abrasive when you fall
off. I trust you wear knee protectors and possess good dodgem skills.

jRc


mma...@staff.iinet.net.au

unread,
Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97
to

In iinet.general Patrick Canion <ps...@opera.iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I take it that this is great news:) Sadly, I did not understand any
> of what followed. As your average surfer in the street, do I need to?

1) Access to Omen from iiNet will now be faster than any other
place. It should be like downloading from iiNet directly.

2) This will soon be extended to include Wantree and the Universities
as well.

3) Going to these places is practically free for us, so we'll
be encouraging you to use them! You should see "local"
services becoming available soon.

4) This has been the result of a lot of warm fuzzy cooperation
among IAPs and the academic sector.

and most important:

5) A select team of iiNet technicians will be toasting Wantree at
Warcraft II next week.

MM

Glen Lewis

unread,
Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97
to

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997 12:27:40 GMT, ni...@staff.iinet.net.au (Niall
Young) wrote:

>>>Summary: Omen and iiNet are both at the peering point at 2M+
>>

>>I take it that this is great news:) Sadly, I did not understand any
>>of what followed. As your average surfer in the street, do I need to?
>

>Not really - basically it's a VERY GOOD THING :)

Cause now we can whip those Omen boys asses in quake dUdeZ.

Glen

Stuart Bryant

unread,
Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97
to

In iinet.general mma...@staff.iinet.net.au wrote:

[snip]

how are you going explaining the difference
between "peering" and "transit" ?

-- me.
--
-- Lister is Stuart Bryant -- aka lis...@opera.iinet.net.au
Space for rent, insert witty quote, #include <std.disclaimers.h>
Take your pick.
"Well I'm on a diet but to hell with it." -- Hrundi V. Bakshi

Mark Dignam

unread,
Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97
to

: and most important:

: 5) A select team of iiNet technicians will be toasting Wantree at
: Warcraft II next week.

You got any half decent Quake players there Michael?

<evil sneer>


Gavin Rogers

unread,
Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97
to

On 24 Jun 1997 07:18:53 GMT, mma...@staff.iinet.net.au wrote:

>Summary: Omen and iiNet are both at the peering point at 2M+
>

>For those that don't already know, the Western Australian
>Internet Association has sponsored a local peering point
>in Perth, referred to, originally, as the "WA Internet
>eXchange" (WAIX). At the moment, if you send email to
>Wantree, we get charged exactly the same as if you sent
>email to Sweden. This is particularly a problem for heavy
>duty bandwidth chewers, such as Quake. It's quite
>ridiculous to be paying a significant amount of money
>to have your data carried down the street.
>

Just curious, but would this mean that ISPs could share web cache
data?

If so, wouldn't that give a better cost cut than faster/cheaper quake
and new traffic combined?

Cya!
Gavin Rogers

---
E-mail : gro...@omen.com.au
: prog...@cc.curtin.edu.au
WWW page: http://www.omen.com.au/~grogers/home.htm
Fidonet : Gavin Rogers @ 3:690/660

mma...@staff.iinet.net.au

unread,
Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97
to

In iinet.general Gavin Rogers <prog...@cc.curtin.edu.au> wrote:
> Just curious, but would this mean that ISPs could share web cache
> data?

Yes.


> If so, wouldn't that give a better cost cut than faster/cheaper quake
> and new traffic combined?

Depends. For the smaller IAPs, definately. For IAPs running
with very large caches already, there will be savings, but
probably not as much.

MM


Bill Holder

unread,
Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97
to

Foolish infidel! You dare tread our turf and throw the gauntlet at our
feet?
We laugh at your challenge and wave our bared bottoms in your
general direction!

-------------------------------------------------
Customer: The life blood of business; The scourge
of intelligent, God fearing admins;
thought responsible for ulcers.
-------------------------------------------------


Pat Hewett

unread,
Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97
to

Bill Holder wrote:
>
> Foolish infidel! You dare tread our turf and throw the gauntlet at our
> feet?
> We laugh at your challenge and wave our bared bottoms in your
> general direction!

"Sh*t!", said the King. And forty thousand loyal subjects bared their asses
and strained towards the ground.

That what you mean, Bill?
luv,
Pat

John Summerfield

unread,
Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97
to

In <5oq1tf$der$1...@demeter.omen.com.au>, dig...@omen.net.au (Mark Dignam) writes:
>Tim Downing (t...@touchstoneDDI.com.au) wrote:
>: >As of about half an hour ago, iiNet and Omen are the

>: >first two networks peering at the WA Internet Exchange.
>: >A traceroute from opera shows:
>: >
>: >traceroute to omen.com.au (203.8.107.33), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
>: > 1 qv1.west.net.au (203.59.24.253) 21.591 ms 3.361 ms 3.288 ms
>: > 2 omen.ix.waia.asn.au (198.32.212.3) 3.833 ms 8.598 ms 13.548 ms
>: > 3 fastway.omen.com.au (203.8.107.179) 10.568 ms 15.122 ms 14.184 ms
>: > 4 backbone.omen.com.au (203.8.107.177) 7.97 ms 7.541 ms 7.357 ms
>: > 5 platypus.omen.com.au (203.8.107.33) 20.774 ms 24.014 ms 30.114 ms
>: >

I saw a posting in another newsgroup about slow ftps from Ballaarat to Melb. Going via San
Francisco. Took the IAP two weeks to sort it out, he said.

Letters of complaint were greeted with offers to remove the service altogether.

The IAP?

The new owner of iinet in SA.

Cheers
John Summerfield
Perth, Western Australia
OS2 support, IBM ftp search, LAN configuration info
@ http://www.iinet.net.au/~summer/

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages