cheap capacitors in LG monitor

1 view

May 28, 2010, 2:10:01 AM5/28/10
grrr.

my 3 year old LG branded LCD Flatron widescreen monitor decided to die 4
days ago.. I email LG enquiring about the warranty period and after 2 days
of no reply .. and not wanting to lug in the 21" CRT in the meantime, I
pried the thing open and found the PSU was reliant on 5 really low quality
Chinese capacitors, 2 of which had bunged badly and which failed on my cap
meter.

.. warranty was 3 years anyhoo so, myeh. Replaced them with some overpriced
shiny new ones from DSE (who's sodding component draws were all but empty
hence me bunging in 35V ones in place of 16V'ers) and back to life she
springs

I really thought manufacturers had clued up to the poor PR that results from
using cheap components.. especially capacitors, but it seems not

poor form LG, very poor..

Rob

May 28, 2010, 2:58:00 AM5/28/10

"k" <fek...@PING.com> wrote in message

I'm not sure Dick Smiths parts are are of good quality. Their drawers are
empty as they are ceasing to stock a lot of "electronics" parts now and
focusing more on consumer electronics.

Sounds like a good fix anyhow, better than springing for a new monitor.

Message has been deleted

Sandgroper

May 28, 2010, 5:23:25 AM5/28/10

"k" <fek...@PING.com> wrote in message

DSE components are usually over priced and they don't stock that much
anymore , the next time you need electronic parts go to either Altronics or
JayCar , both are in Northbridge.

--

Sandgroper
Save planet Earth !

werdan

May 28, 2010, 7:21:25 AM5/28/10
k was thinking very hard :

Your DSE still has capacitors? Our local DSE thinks it's a Harvey
Norman. I'm lucky that Jaycar isn't that much further away.

--
Reality continues to ruin my life.

May 28, 2010, 9:45:17 AM5/28/10

"werdan" <footr...@that.gmail.fad.com> wrote in message

it was about 5pm and I didnt fancy a drive to altronics/jaycar .. I avoid
DSE like the plague these days but I *really* wanted the monitor up that
night (i'm a WoW raider ;)

I viewed DSE as really pitiful, but I hadn't realised just how bad they
were..

spodosaurus

May 28, 2010, 10:16:14 AM5/28/10

Dude...it's LG...

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

TonyS

May 28, 2010, 9:06:24 PM5/28/10

Which DS was it that is actually still stocking parts?

Paulco

May 28, 2010, 9:56:45 PM5/28/10
Remember that Jaycar now have a few suburban branches - I know for sure of
one in Maddington on the opposite corner to Bunnings.

"k" <fek...@PING.com> wrote in message

D-L473

May 29, 2010, 8:02:01 AM5/29/10
In article <Uf2dneHZGqGpw2LW...@westnet.com.au>, fek...@PING.com says...

Don't use the Dick Smurf ones, they suck and are probably just as dodgy.

Get Rubicon or Nichicon from Radio Spares (RS) who unfortunately are one of the few
places that stock them at inflated prices.

D-L473

May 29, 2010, 8:05:43 AM5/29/10
In article <GOqdnfzgzd7j9Z3R...@westnet.com.au>, scarb...@gmail.com says...

Perth, Belmont, Morley. Some of them carry parts, but a lot of it is the same cheap
Chinese junk componentry already in your equipment, particularly caps and resistors, I just
don't trust them. Albiet a new cap will extend your gizmo another 3 years maybe, so in some
cases it's enough for a Joe Blow, but I prefer to spend a bit extra for a decent quality component
as I don't need the hassle when something fails.

May 29, 2010, 8:15:28 AM5/29/10

"Paulco" <pau...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Remember that Jaycar now have a few suburban branches - I know for sure of
> one in Maddington on the opposite corner to Bunnings.

that I did not know.. Jack would be peeved, he had an unwritten agreement
not to step on toes regarding altronice territory and jaycars territory

May 29, 2010, 8:16:07 AM5/29/10

"TonyS" <scarb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Morley.. not that I'd call the draws 'stocked' to speak of

Loosecanon

May 29, 2010, 8:38:35 AM5/29/10

"k" <fek...@PING.com> wrote in message

I bought a watch battery about 6 months ago there. I'd like to get into the
girl's "drawers" who served me!

Woofdog

May 30, 2010, 9:54:43 PM5/30/10

"k" <fek...@PING.com> wrote in message