Conroy's Filter

1 view

Stephen X. Carter

May 30, 2010, 10:28:09 AM5/30/10

Bloke Down The Pub

May 30, 2010, 1:26:18 PM5/30/10

"Stephen X. Carter" <steve@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
news:1ft406pg3q9gpnoao...@4ax.com...
> Oh dear...
>
> <http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/filter-goes-ahead-regardless-20100529-wmg7.html#poll>

I would like to see iinet's comment.

''We are still consulting on the final details of the scheme. But this
policy has been approved by 85 per cent of Australian internet service
providers, who have said they would welcome the filter, including Telstra,
Optus, iPrimus and iinet.''

Mike

Stephen X. Carter

May 30, 2010, 6:29:30 PM5/30/10

See <http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1455394> where
MM writes...

'We will publicly respond to this. If the quote is accurate, it's an
outright lie, well beyond spin.'

D-L473

May 30, 2010, 6:39:14 PM5/30/10
In article <7lp506p3s8m1npptm...@4ax.com>, steve@[127.0.0.1] says...

> On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:26:18 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"
> <cab...@xxxx.iinet.net.au> wrote:
>

> >"Stephen X. Carter" <steve@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> >> Oh dear...
> >>
> >> <http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/filter-goes-ahead-regardless-20100529-wmg7.html#poll>
> >>

> >I would like to see iinet's comment.
> >
> >''We are still consulting on the final details of the scheme. But this
> >policy has been approved by 85 per cent of Australian internet service
> >providers, who have said they would welcome the filter, including Telstra,
> >Optus, iPrimus and iinet.''
>
> See <http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1455394> where
> MM writes...
>
> 'We will publicly respond to this. If the quote is accurate, it's an
> outright lie, well beyond spin.'

So iiNet et. all are not welcoming it happily, with open arms, as portrayed in said media? :)

Sounds more like 85% of ISPs are being strong-armed into introducing a failed technology they
don't want that will detrimentally affect their service.

Government... hah...

Stephen X. Carter

May 31, 2010, 4:25:44 AM5/31/10
On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:26:18 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"
<cab...@xxxx.iinet.net.au> wrote:

<http://www.iinet.net.au/press/releases/20100531-iinet-does-not-support-filter.pdf>

D-L473

May 31, 2010, 5:18:05 AM5/31/10
In article <vjs606594seq3qstv...@4ax.com>, steve@[127.0.0.1] says...

> On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:26:18 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"
> <cab...@xxxx.iinet.net.au> wrote:
>

> >"Stephen X. Carter" <steve@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> >> Oh dear...
> >>
> >> <http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/filter-goes-ahead-regardless-20100529-wmg7.html#poll>
> >>

> >I would like to see iinet's comment.
> >
> >''We are still consulting on the final details of the scheme. But this
> >policy has been approved by 85 per cent of Australian internet service
> >providers, who have said they would welcome the filter, including Telstra,
> >Optus, iPrimus and iinet.''
>
> <http://www.iinet.net.au/press/releases/20100531-iinet-does-not-support-filter.pdf>

<http://www.news.com.au/technology/iinet-hit-backs-at-government-over-filter-claim/story-e6frfro0-1225873560741>

Good old iiNet, the constant fly-in-the-ointment for Conroy:

ONE of Australia's largest internet companies has rubbished claims by a federal minister that it supports the Rudd
Government's internet filtering plan.

A spokesperson for iiNet today said the company had been in touch with the office of Communications Minister Stephen
Conroy to complain after he claimed it was in support of the Government's filtering policy.

"We've been in touch with Senator Conroy's office to reaffirm that we don't support the filter and requested him not to
misrepresent our position," they said.