Community call 27th July - htj2k (a new jp2 format)

Glen Robson

Jul 21, 2022, 6:31:41 PM7/21/22
to iiif-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

The next IIIF Community Call on the 27th of July will be discussing the new High-Throughput JPEG 2000 (HTJ2K) format and its potential benefits for IIIF image servers. HTj2k is a new way of encoding jp2s released by the JPEG Committee. It is a drop-in replacement for the original JPEG 2000 Part 1 block coder (J2K-1) and so allows fully reversible transcoding to/from J2K-1. It has the potential to greatly speed up the delivery of IIIF images over the regular jp2 format.

A small group of IIIF Community members have been running encoding and decoding tests with this new format against regular jp2s and pyramid tiffs using a variety of libraries including Kakadu, Grok and OpenJpeg. In the meeting next week we will give some background to the htj2k format and present the findings from our tests .

For connection details and the call time please see the agenda:

All are welcome.

Thanks

Glen Robson
IIIF Technical Coordinator
International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) Consortium
http://iiif.io