IHE Pharmacy new work item: Medication Prescription and Delivery

Jose Costa Teixeira

Sep 3, 2021, 1:08:55 PM9/3/21
to ihe-ph...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleagues

As per the outcome of the F2F meeting this week, we are starting our profile for Medication Prescription, Dispense, etc. on FHIR.

We will start aiming at one single profile with all the necessary actors and transactions (workflow and content). We will later revisit that decision if needed.

Given the scope of this profile (Community and hospital, from prescription to administration) and since we didn't have a name yet for the common profile, I propose the name Medication Prescription and Delivery.

The first steps are now to collect information from our White paper and existing profiles, to create our functional view (use cases and data models). Then we will do the FHIR transactions.

The repository is created (and empty): https://github.com/IHE/pharm-mpd

Please send your comments and ideas

Kind regards

José

François Macary

Sep 4, 2021, 4:36:01 AM9/4/21
to ihe-ph...@googlegroups.com
Just to let you know, HL7 France is working on a FHIR IG based on R4, for the hospital medication workflows. The profiles for medication prescription of this IG are likely to be approved at some point thisFall.
This work triggers some change requests to Medication and MedicationRequest that we hope to get in the coming R5.
Olivier.Boux [at phast.fr] and myself François.Macary [at phast.fr] will welcome any question or feedback on this.
Regards
François Macary

Jose Costa Teixeira

Sep 4, 2021, 5:22:56 AM9/4/21
to ihe-ph...@googlegroups.com
Thank you François

I think this is a very good timing and I will look into the specification and will get back to the group and to you both.
The work IHE is starting will be largely inspired by our previous work and we are definitely interested in accommodating requirements, as well as contributing in what we can. Perhaps HL7 France and IHE should have a few joint discussions?
About the changes to HL7, it would be interesting to combine efforts. We're figuring out a formal tracking process and I think this is a good start (Just added some examples for showing the intent): https://github.com/IHE/pharm-mpd/projects/1

We have another work item about Medication Record (i.e. the Medication Lists), and it seems the French specification also accommodates some of that. If you are interested, it would be great to align.

Kind regards

José

François Macary

Sep 4, 2021, 7:07:00 AM9/4/21
to ihe-ph...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we also cover the use case medication conciliation, with medication lists.
You've seen our trackers on chat.fhir.org. So far, there are two: 33219 and 33329
I also intend to talk about our project to the HL7 Europe technical team this week.
Apart from that, considering our bandwidth, I would favor asynchronous discussions (by email, chat or shared sheets) rather than setting up joint meetings.
François

SPAHNI Stéphane

Sep 6, 2021, 2:54:24 AM9/6/21
to ihe-ph...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

The "problem" with "Medication Prescription and Delivery" is that it excludes planning... which I would like to have it included in the future!

What about simply "Medication Management"? "Medication Overview" is too narrow, "Medication support" not really what we are doing.

Kind regards,

Stéphane

Stéphane Spahni, PhD
Systems Architect
University Hospitals of Geneva
Division of eHealth and telemedicine
4, rue Gabrielle-Perret-Gentil
CH-1211 Geneva 14
Switzerland
Tel +41 22 372-6278
Fax +41 22 372-6255
Web http://www.hug-ge.ch/cybersante-et-telemedecine

João Almeida

Sep 6, 2021, 6:11:06 AM9/6/21
to ihe-ph...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I agree with Stéphan - Medication Management seems the best title currently, even though I believe it can be too generic.
We can change the title easily so we can keep discussing this issue while working on the profile.

Best regards,

--
João Almeida

Scott M Robertson

Sep 7, 2021, 2:48:04 PM9/7/21
to ihe-ph...@googlegroups.com

I regret not being able to join the F2F meetings.  I’m not aware of the scope of Medication Prescription and Delivery, but I offer the following concerning “Medication Management.

“Medication Management”, at least in the US, is a process that looks at the patient, their health concerns (diagnoses, ADEs/allergies, etc), and all of their medications to determine if the medications (dosage, frequency, adherence, etc) are appropriate or need changes to achieve the best possible patient outcomes.  This includes collecting information on the patient, their health status and concerns, all medications (prescribed or OTC), and other relevant factors (e.g., SDoH).

While Medication Management may impact prescriptions written and the delivery of medications, it usually is considered a separate process.

My comment is not to say you cannot use “Medication Management”.  Rather, to be aware that “Medication Management” has a meaning within pharmacy clinical practice (inpatient or ambulatory).

Scott M Robertson, PharmD, RPh, FHL7
Principal Technology Consultant

Kaiser Permanente

KP Health IT Strategy & Policy

Pasadena / Torrance, CA

310-200-0231 (office)
----
kp.org/thrive

Caution: This email came from outside Kaiser Permanente. Do not open attachments or click on links if you do not recognize the sender.

Hi,

I agree with Stéphan - Medication Management seems the best title currently, even though I believe it can be too generic.

We can change the title easily so we can keep discussing this issue while working on the profile.

Best regards,

--

João Almeida

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or saving them. v.173.295  Thank you.

SPAHNI Stéphane

Sep 7, 2021, 3:41:50 PM9/7/21
to ihe-ph...@googlegroups.com

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your comment. Would you have another suggestion? We should try to avoid as much as possible future confusions - there is already too many related to different interpretations of existing terms :-(

Thanks,

Stéphane

Scott M Robertson

Sep 7, 2021, 5:41:16 PM9/7/21
to ihe-ph...@googlegroups.com

Given the scope (Community and hospital, from prescription to administration), I suggest amending the initial suggestion to “Medication: from Prescription thru Administration”.  Looks like a book/report title, but could work.

This suggestion would not address your desire to include “planning” as  future work.  However, “planning” could be considered an element of “medication management”.  Maybe “Medication Management” could be the title of the future work?  Depends on the definition/scope of “planning” relative to “medication management”

Scott M Robertson, PharmD, RPh, FHL7
Principal Technology Consultant

Kaiser Permanente

KP Health IT Strategy & Policy

Pasadena / Torrance, CA

310-200-0231 (office)
----
kp.org/thrive

Jose Costa Teixeira

Sep 7, 2021, 6:00:11 PM9/7/21
to ihe-ph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scott, Stéphane

Thanks for this. We could perhaps have a discussion further ahead about the final name.
From this feedback so far, I'm personally more inclined to Medication Process Management, or Medication Workflow Management, or something similar. A too long name is not good for acronyms, and while I think that EVERY term we come up with will likely be taken by someone, somewhere, we should have some generic description rather than a specific description.
For example, something like "Prescription to Administration" would no longer apply if we add Planning, or Adverse Event.

I suggest we keep this discussion going, and if we have several alternatives I can collect those alternatives as we discuss, and create a google spreadsheet for people to comment on... Is that reasonable?

Thank you for the feedback

Kind regards

José

Scott M Robertson

Sep 7, 2021, 6:32:03 PM9/7/21
to ihe-ph...@googlegroups.com

Medication Process Management or Medication Workflow Management are good options.  At least until Process and Workflow people join the conversation

Agree that any name will likely be used in some other context.  The name needs to be backed up with a concise scope statement.

Scott M Robertson, PharmD, RPh, FHL7
Principal Technology Consultant

Kaiser Permanente

KP Health IT Strategy & Policy

Pasadena / Torrance, CA

310-200-0231 (office)
----
kp.org/thrive

h...@medinorma.ch

Sep 18, 2022, 3:48:35 PM9/18/22
to ihe-ph...@googlegroups.com

This is a message to François and José

I read with interest that you are progressing in the field of prescription / dispensation.

We have 2 ISO standards on these fields ; both are in revision. For dispensation, the project lead is José, so I am confident i twill be aligned with your progresses. For ePrescription, unfortunately our project lead had to step down ; I am seraching a new project lead, and would be happy to find one in this community ; one aspect to be taken into consideration, is that the EU is (or just has) updating its ePrescription guidelines -and we would prefer that the ISO standard considers this as well (and I have no doubt that the work done in France is as well considering this).

Happy to read your reaction… Since I am in Baltimore @ HL7 WGM, i will be easy to find for a brief discussion.

Warm regards

Christian Hay

Managing Partner