PIX managers - a question

John Moehrke

Mar 29, 2021, 4:12:08 PM3/29/21
to IHE XDS Implementors, IHE MHD Implementors, IHE ITI Technical Committee, Google Account, Bell, Sarah
It has come to the ITI-Tech committee attention that we might not have expressed well what a PIX Manager should do when a client asks for a cross-reference to "more than one" domain; where the PIX manager has a cross-reference found to one of the domains, but not the other. Thus the use-case is where an identity is positively matched, but where that patient does not have an identity in all target assigning authority domains.

Given this specific use-case, what should be the response from the PIX Manager?
1. Return success with the cross-references you found
2. Return failure because you did not find all the cross-reference results that the client asked for
3. something else? please explain

Seems (1) should be the right answer to me. There does seem to be clear (2) in PIXv3.  But given this is not clear in the PIX,  or PIXm specifications; then we are interested in how the current market place would respond. This current market behaviour might become the way we document it going forward.

If you are uncomfortable responding to the group, you can email (Sarah Bell - sb...@himss.org).  She will track the results without exposing details.

John Moehrke 🔥 Architect: Healthcare Informatics Standards - Interoperability, Privacy, and Security
IHE Co-Chair IT Infrastructure Planning and Technical
HL7 Co-Chair Security WG, FHIR FMG, FHIR facilitator, and
FHIR Foundation founding member
Employee of By Light -- Contractor to VHA MyHealtheVet
JohnM...@gmail.com  |  M +1 920-564-2067  |  John.M...@bylight.com
 https://healthcaresecprivacy.blogspot.com

John Moehrke

Mar 29, 2021, 5:55:12 PM3/29/21
to Ben Levy, IHE XDS Implementors, IHE MHD Implementors, IHE ITI Technical Committee, Bell, Sarah
Good clarification... I mistakenly re-cast the problem to a patient matching problem.. but the actual problem is validating the input from the clients for the target domains. Where the PIX manager notices that the client has indicated a target domain that the PIX manager does not understand. Should it fail the whole transaction because of one unknown target domain, when other target domains are understood?

John Moehrke 🔥 Architect: Healthcare Informatics Standards - Interoperability, Privacy, and Security
IHE Co-Chair IT Infrastructure Planning and Technical
HL7 Co-Chair Security WG, FHIR FMG, FHIR facilitator, and
FHIR Foundation founding member
Employee of By Light -- Contractor to VHA MyHealtheVet
JohnM...@gmail.com  |  M +1 920-564-2067  |  John.M...@bylight.com
 https://healthcaresecprivacy.blogspot.com

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 3:31 PM Ben Levy <Ben....@lyniate.com> wrote:

One clarification:  we’re talking about the case where the consumer asks for multiple target domains and the Manager does not know some of them.  That is case 5.  So the issue is a domain that is unknown, not a domain for which no identifiers are cross-referenced.

Thanks,
Ben