Genome of interest

susheel raina

Jul 13, 2021, 1:45:15 AM7/13/21
to igv-help
Hi,
My genome of interest (Prunus dulcis: Almond) is not there in the genome list. Will IGV help group please add the same in the genomes' list.
Thanx
Susheel

robin...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2021, 1:46:04 PM7/13/21
to igv-help
We will consider it but need a pointer to (1) a fasta file, and (2) an annotation file in gff, gtf, or bed format.

susheel raina

Jul 14, 2021, 2:30:44 AM7/14/21
to igv-help

robin...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2021, 7:42:28 PM7/14/21
to igv-help
Did you try just loading these from your local computer>.  Just download and gunzip the fasta,  the use. "Genome > Load from file..." to load it.   Download the gff and load it from the File menu. (File > Load from file...).

susheel raina

Jul 16, 2021, 5:13:18 AM7/16/21
to igv-help
Hi Robin.
I have downloaded the file and it is a GZ type file format not fasta. How to gunzip it?

regards

James Robinson

Jul 16, 2021, 10:14:14 PM7/16/21
to igv-help
On most computers just double-clicking it will gunzip it.  Otherwise you might have to install a program to do it.

susheel raina

Jul 19, 2021, 1:38:15 AM7/19/21
to igv-help
Hi Robin,

I tried to upload but failed. Please help me load the genome.

Regards
Susheel

Helga Thorvaldsdottir

Jul 19, 2021, 11:54:16 AM7/19/21
to igv-help
Susheel,

I was able to load into IGV both the fasta file and the gff file that you linked to in an earlier message in this thread.
Make sure to load the fasta file via the Genomes menu (Genomes > Load genome from file), and the gff file via the File menu (File > Load from file).
If they do not load for you, make sure you are not using an old version of IGV.

Note, when you load the gff file, IGV does pop up a message recommending an index file be created, you can follow the directions to do that, but the file loaded ok without it.Also, you may want to right-click on the gff track once it's loaded and select "expanded".

Helga

susheel raina

Jul 21, 2021, 2:45:29 AM7/21/21
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Helga,

I was struck at this point. Your help is much appreciated.
Now I can give a try for my data on IGV.

Thanks again.

Best regards
Susheel

--

---

susheel raina

Jul 26, 2021, 4:20:03 AM7/26/21
to igv-help
Hi Helga,

Thanks for guiding. I could load the genome. But in does not appear in the drop down menu of the genomes list. Please add it to the list of genomes displayed on the software window.

Regards
Susheel

Helga Thorvaldsdottir

Jul 26, 2021, 1:23:24 PM7/26/21
to igv-help
Hi Susheel,
I don't know why it doesn't appear in your genome dropdown menu, unless you've recently reset your <home>/igv folder.
The contents of the folder <home>/igv/genomes defines what you see in the dropdown menu; it stores information about the genomes you have loaded, and any genomes you've loaded via file/url will be listed in the file user-defined-genomes.txt . See the screenshot below of what I see in my menu after loading your genome of interest.
If you've cleared out any of these folders/files, you'll need to load your genome again via file/url so IGV can again log them there for the menu.

Note that your genome will not appear in the Genomes > Load Genome From Server list, as that will only display genomes hosted by IGV.

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 12.40.07 PM.png

Helga