error when reading bam files

Natalia Berges

May 30, 2018, 5:08:22 AM5/30/18
to igv-help
Hi, I have the following problem when trying to read bam files created in Partek:
  1. I am using the IGV version 2.4.10 and Windows.
  2. I opened a bam file and tried to zoom in or look for a gene. Every time I try something the error: Error encountered querying alignments: htsjdk.samtools.util.RuntimeIOException: Invalid file header in BAM index 5EVlong.bai: +Á#ú pops up.
  3. I expected I could view my reads aligned to the genome.
  4. What actually happened, I got the error message, no reads from my file were ever showed.

I'm not sure how to proceed and fix this error. Is there something wrong with the bam files?

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Natalia
error message.jpg

James Robinson

May 30, 2018, 9:36:04 AM5/30/18
to igv-help
The error indicates a problem with the BAM index file.   I suggest you create the index.

--

---

Wayne Henderson

Jun 15, 2023, 11:27:55 AM6/15/23
to igv-help
Hello

Did you manage to solve this issue?
Because I am facing the same problem.

igv-help

Jun 16, 2023, 12:45:43 AM6/16/23
to igv-help
If you are having the same issue,  the cause would be the same.   An invalid BAM index file.