Feature request: view multiple genomes in same session

Joe Georgeson

Aug 2, 2021, 3:10:58 PM8/2/21
to igv-help
Hi IGV devs,

A feature I would find very useful (and I hope others too!) is the ability to view multiple genomes in the same session through the lens of a multiple sequence alignment of the genomes/transcripts. Here, a bam/bed/bw file would be aligned to a specific genome, and because the genomes/transcripts would be aligned to each other, the alignment/coverage of each sample could be easily compared across organisms.

If there is already a tool that does this, or if there is a roundabout way to do this in IGV, I'll be happy if someone can share their knowledge.

Best,
Joe

James Robinson

Aug 2, 2021, 3:52:10 PM8/2/21
to igv-help
You can load multiple aligned sequences in the UCSC "Multiple Alignment Format".   See http://software.broadinstitute.org/software/igv/MultipleAlignmentFormat.     However I'm not following your comment on comparing coverage, the alignments and coverage from a bam file is to a particular sequence.

Joe Georgeson

Aug 2, 2021, 6:01:52 PM8/2/21
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks James