Export consensus sequence from IGV

Yue Ying

Jan 21, 2013, 3:54:27 AM1/21/13
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I would like to know if it is possible for me to export the consensus sequence after I have aligned the BAM files onto the reference genome on IGV. I just wish to export a particular region of interest. If IGV does not have this feature, any idea what are the other alternatives I can use? Something more friendly for biologist perhaps?

Thanks and looking forward to your reply soon.

Cheers,
Yue Ying

Jim Robinson

Feb 5, 2013, 1:05:32 PM2/5/13
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yue,

Apologies for the delayed reponse.  IGV does not compute a consensus sequence,  there are tools for that but I am not sure they qualify as biologist friendly.   I think the GATK and samtools should be able to do this, perhaps one of the Picard tools.

Jim

Jacob Silterra

Aug 27, 2013, 2:39:16 PM8/27/13
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yue,

Just an FYI, you can now export the consensus sequence from a BAM file in the latest release of IGV. See the documentation of AlignmentTrack popup menu, under "Copy consensus sequence"

Thanks,
-Jacob

--

---

Jacob Silterra
Software Engineer
Broad Institute

Yue Ying

Aug 28, 2013, 12:15:50 AM8/28/13
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacob,

Thank you very much! Exactly what I was looking for!

Cheers,
YueYing

--

---

Best regards,
Yue Ying

thyss...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2014, 1:35:52 PM2/5/14
to igv-...@googlegroups.com, gregory...@ars.usda.gov
Hi Jacob,
How do I "paste"?
I am running linux.
I right click on the reads track, select "copy consensus"
When I switch into my text editor, there is nothing to paste.
Thanks,
Greg

Jacob Silterra

Feb 5, 2014, 5:19:21 PM2/5/14
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The consensus sequence gets copied to the system clipboard. There should be a paste option in the edit menu of your text editor, or else ctrl+v is the standard keyboard shortcut.

-Jacob

Dr. Thyssen

Mar 6, 2014, 3:52:51 PM3/6/14
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
This works on my windows machine, but not on my linux box.  I run RHEL6.0
Could this be an OS specific bug?
Does it work for you on linux?
Thanks,
Greg

--

---

Jacob Silterra

Mar 11, 2014, 11:50:59 AM3/11/14
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
We don't have a RedHat linux machine to test it on. I've tested on Ubuntu Linux and it works fine. It certainly could be OS-specific.

-Jacob

Monique

Oct 16, 2014, 4:28:43 PM10/16/14
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Is it possible to export the consensus sequence from the command line? I have a bunch of bam files that I want to export the consensus from a particular region in the files. I can do this one at a time using the IGV GUI but I would much prefer to automate this process.
-I have had a look at the manual, but I can't see an export consensus option in the command line

Thanks

Monique

Jim Robinson

Oct 16, 2014, 4:52:55 PM10/16/14
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We don't have that option at the moment, this is the type of analysis
we normally leave for analysis programs like samtools. Have you explored
other command line options (e.g. samtools or picard). This is not an
area I'm familiar with, so I'm not sure what's already out there.

Jim

Andrew Farmer

Oct 17, 2014, 12:26:16 AM10/17/14
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hi-
vcftools has a vcf-consensus program which may be close to what you're
looking for; you'd
have to call variants from your bam files first, though.

hope that helps

Andrew

Monique

Oct 17, 2014, 12:29:25 PM10/17/14
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I am familiar with samtools but for some reason mpileup doesn't produce anything meaningful (despite me being able to visualize many reads using IGV and extract the sequence).I am trying a slightly unorthodox approach at extracting a particular gene from my resequenced genomes (I have used samtools successfully across the whole genome though). I'll try samtools again and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks!

Monique

Jim Robinson

Oct 17, 2014, 12:47:22 PM10/17/14
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
If you can't, or if there really isn't an easy-to-use alternative I will look into adding this to igvtools.   Be aware however that this isn't our expertise, we implemented the algorithm in the paper cited but our knowledge of this subject ends there.

Jim

--

---

Monique

Oct 17, 2014, 1:06:33 PM10/17/14
to igv-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim

I'll see how I go, I tested this approach on a few samples, I'll see if samtools works better when I increase the number of individuals. In this case I'm more interested in a presence/absence of a particular target gene so although the  SNP sites are  desirable they aren't essential. Thats why the IGVtools copy consensus sequence approach is ok.  If I can't get this to work in any other way I'll contact you again.

Thanks

Monique
Message has been deleted