Ignite Corvallis Marketing/help

Lance

Sep 8, 2009, 3:52:23 PM9/8/09
to Shelly.Ho...@oregonstate.edu, David....@oregonstate.edu, ignitecorval...@googlegroups.com
Shelly/David-

You had mentioned in the past that you were interested in helping out
with Ignite Corvallis and I'm reaching out to you guys now. To keep
things consistent, we should probably move actual discussion to our
planning list [1] (which I cc'd). Please feel free to join it. It
currently only has me, Jason, and Dawn Foster from Portland on it. We
probably should invite others that are interested in helping.

What can you do to help us? The biggest thing we're lacking is
marketing and promotion of the event. Also any advice for the event as
planned would be great. We're trying to keep this as simple as
possible without requiring a lot of extra work on our end.

So far we're planning on having the event on Nov 5th in the C&E Room
in LaSells at around 7:30. There's another event happening in
conjunction with ignite called Web Innovators (also known as high tech
after hours) from 3pm until around 6ish in the Alumni Center. The
Corvallis SAO chapter is actually helping cover the costs and the
reservation aspect of the event. As for deadlines, we're looking at
having Oct 22nd be the cutoff for proposals which lines up for
promoting it at Beaver BarCamp and give them three weeks to finish the
presentations.

With school coming up, it might make sense if we could get the word
out for Ignite on campus. Do you guys have any suggestions for the
best way to promote this event both on and off campus and around the
community? Should we make fliers and post them around? Any ideas and
suggestions would be great.

Jason: We should put up a page on the google group with the details we
talked about today at lunch. Can you do that please? We should
probably also invite others that want to be involved in the planning
to the list.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions!

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/ignitecorvallis-planning

Jason

Sep 8, 2009, 3:54:45 PM9/8/09
to ignitecorval...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reaching out. I'll talk to Chris and Paul.

And I'll get my notes up tonight.

Thanks,
Jason

Signs, Shelly

Sep 9, 2009, 2:08:41 PM9/9/09
to Lance, Barner, David, ignitecorval...@googlegroups.com
Hi, in reading over your notes here are my thoughts:
If one event ends at 6:00 and yours begins at 7:30, will that create a chance for people to leave and not come back? Would it be good to have one flow into the other, or provide a food option for those transititioning in some way?

What methods do other "ignite"s use to get the word out? http://oregonstate.edu/admin/events/guide26.html will give you an idea of LOTS of options for publicity
http://oregonstate.edu/admin/events/guide14.html has all the contacts to post event announcements in traditional print methods.

Wandering around that area of the planning guide would be good for brainstorming (as it contains specifically ways to get the word out on campus), and a meeting to identify target audiences and how they communicate could finalize the publicity plan.

Do you have a budget for publicity, or is it only what we can do for free?

Creating a short summary that can be shared would be the first start. It should include Name of Event, Brief description, Date of Event, Time of Event, Location of Event, cost of Event, and Contact information for additional information.

Best,
~S

Shelly Signs | Oregon State University
University Events | 541-737-0724

Signs, Shelly

Oct 21, 2009, 5:53:41 PM10/21/09
to ignitecorval...@googlegroups.com
I love the WiN2009 cards from willametteinnovators.com!

They handed them out at the Downtown Corvallis meeting this morning and it looks like a great lineup. Let me know if there are areas of the event that you're still needing help with.

Best,
~Shelly